GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"EssaHBSCode241." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:59:55 -0800
As far as matching some specific things that have been happening from 1994, to the availaible constitutional provisions is still lacking,transparency will always suffer serious blows.Until then we will  continue living within a Sub Saharan African country where whims and caprices are usually  coded from the state house only to be decoded later on by brute or excessive anger. Always after listening to Yaya's speeches,I asked myself this question....Are we being fooled,schooled, glued to a blind doctrine or grilled? Obviously we are not being schooled? Now choose.

The following are areas that the judiciary and legislature may consider "minute" but they are one of the main gates.Through these very gates,I am confident enough to say that, a lot of our country's wealth is being exported or slayed!

Example...The president may handle a whip using the constitution and then blind folding some people during this so-called anti corruption campaign.Usually systematised approaches refer to audit reports,income tax,customs,tax evasions etc etc as areas where corruption can be measured(economically). Well no one disputes the fact that,these areas are important when one is ready to control or reduce mismanagement but is that all? No! Our accounting system owes a lot from the post colonial style that was left within.Most of our accountants resort to codes of conduct etc as stipulated in the FI,GO or whatever booklet nearby. Yes that helps a lot when one controls the expenditutres incurred by civil servants(high or low ranking ones).But can we use them on Yaya? No!

Infact the results fromf such audit reports go where? To the executive and then finally to the legislature (when the executive is pressurised by people like Sidia Jatta!). Would it not have been fairer and better if the accounts committee of the house of parliament also was at least involved in such missions called auditing,accountability and so on? Parliament always reacts to what has been tabled(good or bad) before them, from the executive.Why not parliament also starts being involved from the on set in trying to see what is being brought in every year prior to it reaching them?

Going further down the line one jams a harder concrete wall that is the office if the president's expenditures.House hold needs etc near Yaya as the head.The above cannot be regularised by Yaya himself,it has to be done by an independent body like parliament or at least some other type of entity that cares less about Yaya's so-called RED EYES or DANGEROUS LOOKS!
Lets say if all issues where adressed within the perspective of the audting dept or other codes of conduct,Yahya could still go scot free because it is the accounts dept that spends when Yaya needs something not himself who does so. What Yaya does is as follows.He orders expenditures,they are incurred and then when people like Halifa Sallah and co spring up to raise the red flag the wrong doing is passed upon the head of a junior clerk or someone  else. Most of those people are not touched,they only receive light blows on the elbow with a mocking  laughter from superman.
If the parliament were to set an example on those concerned by passing a bill along those lines and then sending a batch of officials who are very very very close to Yahya to mile two whether he likes it or not,then soon Gambians would know the truth. Is David Colley ever wrong? He has never been cited for anything wrong even whereas some prisoners stood before a magistrate complaining about him. Others in the force were tabled before lawyers and judges.What came out of it? Nothing! Didn't the police go against a court order regarding the YDE rice? What came out of it? Nothing!
Is that not blatant corruption? Indeed it is.
How about when Yaya himself uses other means that are not known to even top rankers?

Example would Yaya one day honestly( fear God and his grave) therefore tell Gambians how many people benefitted from the POWERS OF ATTAORNEY he the president issues to them to carry out special missions for The country(him)? Would he? If not,why not?
Any power of attorney he issues carries the emblem of The Gambia,he signs as president of The Republic of The Gambia!
If anyone of his officials so wishes they can come here and defend the latter.Then I will send on line the names of people who have ever received powers of attorney from him and the missions they were running in other countries,regions on his behalf and still they are called Gambians on special mission for the state?! These type of missions are what some call TOP SECRET! What is top secret in crude oil deals and the like? That does not affect the nation's security if divulged publicly.
Why is it top secret now? Because if the real details are revealed there maybe an uprising against the doers! So for those who call it top secret then that means Yaya's power base is the nation? That is absolutely not true.
A true patriot leaves his position will scandals over shadow his or her input.
No soldier can over throw The Gambia as a nation because that is the "mother-earth" base for all and sundry. Yaya himself is the cause of any tension and security threat around him right now because he is wrapping himself into two different personalities.He wants to be so religious and so business minded through excessive hidden deals.Even if he hides something that is good for the country,it may turn against him because when people suspect they imagine and when they imagine their brains incubate more and more.Yaya has to remember that State house is not a place where hiding and witch craft is expected. When he was in the army no one disturbed him with what he believed.Now he is no longer a private, so-called dangerous hallucinating youth.He is a president and he likes being called one! Therefore living up to expectations helps him and helps the situation.Living up to expectations here does not mean telling people I WILL BUILD ALJANNA FOR YOU! He cannot build ALJANNA when he is alive!
So lets look into his activities at all cost and then educate the public,if Yaya thinks that people like me are scared of what others say about him ie he kills those who talk too much about what he does or he has magical powers,friend! he is mistaking.
No doubts myth thrives near ignorance. Are Gambians that ignorant? I do not think so!

Till later...

Yours Sincerely
Essa Bokarr Sey