GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
maria sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:31:57 -0800
 Haruna:
Thank you so much for clarifying some very important issues.  I will be contacting you soon.
Thanks
Mama

  Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Maria,

I am delighted at your sincere concern. I have taken the liberty to re-present the part of my letter to the G-L that is germaine to your querry.

" 7.Then we will ship what our due diligence allows us to ship with the condition that we can monitor the dispensation to some extent because our responsibility does not terminate when we ship it. Being part of the chain of custody, we bear responsibility in affording access to anyone who may administer them, doctor or no doctor. In conjunction with accepting properly donated medication, This group will form a permanent cadre of Gambians who will receive drug needs from the hospitals and clinics and then purchase or solicit the drug manufacturers directly to secure the drugs and ship them directly to the ordering medical concern. Royal Victoria, Bansang, and Yorobawol hospitals come to mind and religious charities such as the CRS, Ahmaddiyya, and the Seventh Day adventists or other Islamic medical charity will be engaged. We can do a lot of good. But let's do it right. On behalf of Mariama, Maila, Sigga, Sainey, Albury, I wish to thank you for indulging us and we look foreward to sharing our experiences with you in the future. Haruna (for goodness sakes)".

In effect Maria, once we establish responsible persons who have authority of agency for the medical institutions including the Mental Health Outfit in Campama, then their submission of a list of acute-need and not-so-acute need medications to us and an affidavit of desire to receive such medication from us will constitute a valid transfer of custody. These institutions naturally should already have a monitoring regime for any medication in their custody. As an assurance, we will require them to sign the manifest that will accompany any medication to them. This manifest, along with the agent's photograph at reception will be sent back to us via our logistics company.

As you can see therefore, this is a comprehensive effort and will require adequate precursory work before any medication will leave our custody. If because of the strict requirements in the chain of custody, the aforementioned institutions do not desire to receive donated medication, we will consult the Gambia Branch of the international Red Cross, Red Crescent, or appropriate persons at WHO. Thy will be done, but done right.

If you wish to find out how you can assist in this preliminary work, please send me private mail at [log in to unmask] appropriately titled. I look foreward to hearing from you and working with you.

It must be underscored that a batch has already been sent via container prior to my involvement and I cannot bear responsibility for that batch. I trust Sainey and Albury will do due diligence for its proper dispensation.

Sincerely, Haruna.