GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fatoumata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 15:21:07 +0200
Essau,

I also have to congratulate you for cooling down a bit with the trend your
language took the last time. As the saying goes, no hard feelings.
If you ascertain that the freedom newspaper is widely quoted, then it is our
duty as fellow Gambians to criticise the paper. My criticism was
constructive even if you do not read it that way. I am sure Pa Nderry knows
several other online papers and the method used to communicate their news.
If freedom has gained such popularity, it is fair enough to improve both the
reporting, the language and the lay out (which you are doing now).
You are right that the first thing I do once I wish to read the online news
is the following (in its order:
- read The Point newspaper (I consider this paper the best online paper with
immediate news from The Gambia)
- browse through the Observer (sometimes I hardly spend two or three minutes
as all the news are mostly on praising Yaya Jammeh except for very few)
- check the Gambia Echo for new postings (I find this the paper very lucid
and well presented except for the occasional polemic created mostly by
Mathew - no hard feelings)
- check the Freedom Newspaper (I usually find interesting readings except I
am exasperated by the presentation, the language and the tone sometimes)
- and then Gpost and G-L before reading the international press on Africa
and the world.

The order breaks on occasions.
I also feel embarrassed when certain information is badly reported or if Pa
Nderry uses hash language in his reporting. I always wish that the
information is written differently yet saying the same thing. That's all. I
am no reporter but I guess a little effort could bring extraordinary
changes.

Do not bother to guess where I live. I am neither in Florida nor in DC. I am
not in Atlanta, Raleigh or Denver. So relax about my whereabouts. It matters
not. I exhort you to focus on our debate and argument (which should be
healthy and free of loose vocabulary and heavy language). I equally exhort
my elder brother Abdoukarim (who was my senior at the Gambia College when he
was at the School of Agriculture) to please be calm.

Chi Jaama