GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:52:04 EST
Habib, Bamba and all football fans:

Rumor has it that the U of Miami runs a football camp up there and
student/athletes need not do school work to graduate.  Their players graduate
into the NFL as opposed to the corporate America..  A good friend who played
basketball for them in the late 80s claims Jimmy Johnson (ex-Dallas Cowboy +
Miami NFL coach) would categorically tell his student athletes that their
main purpose at the school was to play football first and academics next.

Now, this 'sports camp' mentality combined with their alleged reliance on the
Haitian voodoo doctors based in Miami, was really the main reason why the
Cornhuskers lost yesterday (laugh).  But don't worry, all Nebraska has to do
next year is scour the corn belt area for those behemoth farm boys of German
and Scandinavian descent.  The more corn produced in the area, the better
their prospects of a good recruiting class for Nebraska.  A bumper harvest
might see your Alma Matter return to their righteous position at the top of
the BCS rankings.  But take heart in the fact, that the Corn Huskers are no 2
in the country, even though those pretenders from Oregon might also claim to
be second best.

On the ANC, Mali just announced their squad for the tourney.  Most of them
play in Europe and interestingly one of their players is a part-time player
for Harrow in England.  When he isn't playing, he doubles as a part-time
pharmacist.  I think BBC has a piece on him.  Nevertheless, I distinctly
remembered the brutal play of the Malians during their matches at Box Bar and
the Independence stadiaum.  Hopefully, their play is a bit cleaner these days.

As for Senegal, their players are threatening to boycott the tourney because
according to them, their bonus money (13.5 Grand) for making the WC is too
small.  Consequently, their FA chief has rushed off to France to hopefully
stave off this possible embarrassment.  I wonder why we always fight over
money?  Only the Senegalese fans come out losers in this unfortunate impasse.