GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:25:23 -0500
Hamjatta:

I always enjoy reading your postings, especially your debate with Halifa. It is
also very apparant that initially you had issues and questions for Halifa: the
role Halifa played in Koro's mysterious death, entrenched clause in the
Constitution, and Halifa's tendency to enjoy a closer tango dance with Jammeh
than Jawara. These are all relevant issues and all of you have debated them well,
but on this last piece you are sounding like someone trying to find a tune for
the next round of debate, and I am beginning to loose you on the direction you
are heading. As a follower of the debate, I never thought of it as a horse race,
or a win loose situation, but rather having questions and issues to be raised and
expect answeres to those questions.
"Again it struck me odd that you who passionately
exposed the shortcomings of the 1970 Constitution and the Jawara era, would
resort to only low risk rhetorical questions as your critique of such a
fundamentally flawed constitution. Perhaps you would explain why you resorted
to such low risk critique,"

From the above quotations, which you have raised before and answeres were given,
you resorted to characterized it as "low risk critique", which rhetorically does
not mean anything.
I have finally come to the conclusion that Halifa and PDOIS, unlike me , who
easily jumped into the banwagon of change only to later realized that I was on
the wrong wagon heading in the wrong direction; are driven by principles and
political beliefs.We can disagree with them on their politcal beliefs and
idealogy, but it is evident that they have always been very consistent. I
honestly cannot see Halifa and PDOIS in the business of either liking Jammeh,
disliking Jawara or having an ulterior motive that have not surfaced. After
following this debate for the last two months, I have come to grasp how important
it is to be driven by sets of Principles and beliefs, and those are scarce
commoddities in all aspects of our Gambian lives

Musa Jeng