GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:37:55 EST
Hello Joe,
What you said just hit home. For someone to help you and bring the best out
of you he or she must first value, understand, and appreciate your culture as
a human being. We Africans have to appreciate Africa as well as appreciating
our people and the best of what they can offer. Charity starts at home. If we
respect our people the rest of the world will respect us. We have been
socialized to believe that anything from the West is the best for Africa. We
must stop following the west if we want to have a sustainable continent.
Africa can only be build by Africans and not the west. The more we believe
that we have to be validated by the west, the more we give them power to
enslave us mentally. How long are we going to allow ourselves to be mentally
enslaved by the west?  We all have the choice to say no. The answer lies in
us. We can do it if we work together as black people in this world. We must
first change ourselves before we try to change anybody. God bless us all.
Michael Ba Banutu-Gomez