GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BambaLaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:34:24 -0500
"I would not be surprised if this rogue government of our is looking to get
their hands on additional funds any way they can by coming up with these
kinds of increases in fees for goods and services."

Sis,

This is precisely what my thoughts were when I read that this row was
caused by increased crossing tariffs. Remember our government just
purchased a new (re-used) ferry. Well, somehow, somewhere, the investment
on that ferry has to be financed. I would think that strategies for
realizing the return on the investment on the ferry would have been worked
out at the cost-benefit analysis stage of the project planning. Obviously,
someone hasn't done their homework right as usual. All they were focused on
is put
ting a re-used ferry up on the Banjul- Barra route as soon as
possible without focusing on how the maintenance and operation should be
financed. Typical of a reactinary leadership. No proactive mindset.
Understandably, tarrifs will have to go up somehow, but by God make it a
gradual increase - like 20-25% at regular intervals until you reach your
goal. This way the impact will not be immediately felt by the commercial
entities involved. Our planners should do everything to safeguard the
prosperity of re-export trade, cuz that's what we have left. When will
these people learn from their mistakes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BambaLaye