GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
panderry mbai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:08:04 +0000
                [input]
     EDITORIAL

  President Jammeh, yesterday announces  ten percent pay package  for poverty stricken civil servants. He made the announcement shortly after his return from Mecca. What is interesting though,  civil servants are doubting Jammeh's sincerity in "making such a  pay raise". They say there was no mention of pay rise on the just delivered budget speech by Finance Minister Balla Gaye. That the budget never catered for such pay raise and wondered where on earth Jammeh, was going to secure such funds to boost the working moral of civil servants, which is in low  level today.

  Yes, we buy the arguments advanced by these concerned civil servants.The government of the day is confused and will do whatever it takes to  baffle workers, who had been marginalised since the advent of  Jammeh's repressive rule. Pay rise had been a thing of the past. Jammeh, is more concerned about the welfare of  the State Guards, who are providing him protection around the clock and not our hard working civil servants. This can be confirmed by the flamboyance life style, the State Guards enjoyed under Jammeh's rule. Most of these young soldiers and their immediate bosses owned houses, cars and whatever you think of. We will not rule out that they are enjoying another payroll, which some members of the army are not aware of. This will come to light, if the system fall apart. State allowances cannot earn them such properties. We know their pay scale and it would be fool hardy for them to think that they are more hard working than our soldiers in Yundum, Fajara, Basse, Kudang and
 Farafenni.

  It is a good news to hear Jammeh, saying he wanted to increase the pay of civil servants. It is our contention that the  timing of such announcement was wrong and politically motivated. The questions that comes to mind is that: Why didn't Jammeh include the said pay package  of 10 percent in the budget speech? Is Jammeh telling us that he came with some gifts from Mecca? Why the announcement now? Is he trying to win the support of disgruntled civil servants- knowing fully well that 2006, is an election year?  Jammeh, your  pay package  announcement is  the joke of the century. There is no money in our national coffers. Your Finance Minister, Balla Gaye, had said it loud and clear in his budget speech,  that this government will  increase local taxes,  in a bid to meet its financial obligations. Or are you telling us that there are two budgets this year-JAMMEH AND BALLA'S BUDGET? Interesting times in The Gambia. Jammeh is the Minister of Finance, Energy, Agriculture, whatever you
 think of.

  Doubting Thomoses will continue to ask questions, as we do not have money at the National Treasury. Perhaps, you are going to ask Britain to print some monies for you? Or are  you going to do it the usual local style?  Jammeh,  stop pretending. This will not help you and your government. Tell our workers the truth, to avoid facing problems in the future. I can bet that Jammeh's government cannot sustain 10 percent pay  raise for civil servants for a period of six months. I foresee a  Gambia, where civil servants will not receive their monthly salaries, if Jammeh's announcement  is to go by. You said the new pay package  will commence this month, let watch and see. The wollof Njie said "NDAGE SETAN, MOSEEGAN," meaning it is better to serve as an observer in public forums or gathering. Jammeh, we are watching you closely to see if the said pay package will be honoured.

  Our economy had deteriorated so bad that 10 percent pay raise is nothing but a mockery. Prices for basic commodities are sky rocketing on a daily basis. A bag of rice, is now costing nothing less than six hundred dalasis. And we gathered that the quality of the said rice is not good. The best rice, which is widely called "SADAM IN THE GAMBIA, NOT SADAM HUSSEIN OF IRAQ,"  is  out of reach. The price is just exorbitant!!!!  D800 dalasis for a bag of Sadam? This is just too much. This is not The Gambia, Jawara and his PPP, governed prior to the 1994 coup. Our economy is not moving. It is dead. Jammeh, murdered our economy,  since July of 1994, with his misplaced and reckless economic policies.

  We are not sure how our donor partners, such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank will react to Jammeh's announcement. Jammeh, had still not learned from the IMF advise to avoid presenting misleading and exaggerated facts and figures. We still cannot understand, why Jammeh, failed to tell Balla to include the 10 percent pay package  in his recent  2006 budget . We have good reasons to be suspicious, unless he Jammeh, tell us where such funds are coming from. It is not from the IFM and World Bank. We are sure of that. Perhaps, his "ALLAH'S BANK,"  which had not been active in recent years. Jammeh, try to be realistic, for heaven sake. We have a problem at hand and try to admit the said economic problems.

  We do know that you are easily manipulated by some of the so called "Jahutu" economists, who are bent on distorting the current economic situation in our dear country. We have no problem with Jammeh, improving the economic lives our workers, but should be done in honest and professional manner. Yesterday, Balla, told us that the economy was not in good shape and cannot cater for such expenses. Today Yahya Jammeh is telling the nation a different story altogether. I remember Balla Gaye, telling the National Assembly that government will cut down expenditure and would  also engage in vigorous taxation exercise. We ask one more time, who among the two is to be trusted? There is something wrong somewhere.

  Our reference on  the state guards is a statement of fact. They are enjoying more than any soldier in The Gambia. We challenge Jammeh and his guards to dispute our claims. We will then publish a list of state guards soldiers, who are better off than their colleagues in the army. Our statement is not intended to saw seeds of discord in the army, but we thought that there should be equal treatment in the army and the civil service in general. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Period.

  Jammeh, is a day dreamer and will do whatever it takes to impress civil servants who are not only marginalised but neglected by the failed "Kanilai" ruler. What we need now is better economy and not broken promises. We are sick and tied with Jammeh's false promises. Our people are dying of hunger, Jammeh. Shame with your double standards. This is not the time to deceive our civil service. We rest our case....

  The author is the former Secretary General of The Gambia press Union and also a former Voice of America radio Banjul Correspondent. Mr. M'Bai who now resides in the US State of North Carolina Raleigh was a leading political and crime reporter with the Point and Daily Observer newspapers respectively. He can be reached by email at the following addresses: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]