GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 19:29:52 +0000
I believe that everyone has the inalienable right to freedom of opinion and
of association as enshrined in numerous human rights instruments.

I am quite sure that the erudite Dr. Scattered-Janneh is no exception here.
Whatever prompted his decision, nobody can dismiss the fact that the APRC
human rights record is dismal and President Jammeh's government is yet to
show any signs of improvement in this area.  This news has just made me
re-read a chapter in Prof. George Ayittey's controversial book, 'Africa in
Chaos', where he unsuccessfully attempts to explain the reasons why some
African intellectuals associate themselves with governments that violate
human rights with impunity.

Dr. Scattred-Janneh has mentioned the new Kombo coastal road and President
Jammeh's recent pronouncement on peace. President Jammeh's committment to
peace has, first of all, to start with tolerance on the home front: the
bringing to justice of people who have been charged with heinous crimes such
as the random shooting of school children, the immediate release of all
political prisoners, and a stop to all arbitrary arrests and detentions,
etc, etc.

The new coastal road is no doubt a long overdue development for Kombonkas
and tourism alike. However, could we sacrifice civil and political rights
for economic rights? Are these rights not interdependent? Could the building
of roads and hospitals over-ride the right to freedom of expression, the
right to freedom of association and assembly, etc.?

The success of future African governments lies principally on the ability
and willingness of their leaders to see themselves as servants of their
people and not the other way round.

Without much ado, I wish Dr. Scattred-Janneh success in his new political
career.

Hamadi.