GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saikou Samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:55:59 -0000
KB,

One thing should be made clear here and that is to say,you will have to
struggle hard to find a country were more than 60% of eligible voters when
to the pools,such are rear occasions and shows how false it could be with
what we call Democracy.Secondly the People from the North did go to the
pools and secondly as far as Ouattara is not able to send the people to the
street to defy the banning of his party and had to rely on other
parties,then we have to commend Gbogbo for doing that without waiting for
alliance from others,then the story would have been different,that is to say
then Guei would have still been the President of Ivory Coast.
Thirdly the war against personality cult is no small things as far as
politics in our continent is concern.They are a big hindrance to development
and participation,it is backward and have contributed greatly in pacifying a
large section of many societies.
I still maintain my position that Gbogbo is the legitimate President of
Ivory Coast,even though as you rightly pointed out,from the start the
exclusion of other parties from the elections,is out right undemocratic,it
was not Gbogbo who did that.Now he has the chance of changing that foolish
law and so far there is nothing saying that he is not willing to do so.
I have said here that the parliamentary elections are very soon,if Ouattra
party wins this elections,unless that he would just want to be the
president,then he would still have nothing to lose.
I have also said here that,even though the West have been parading him as a
democrat,modern and Intellectual,my doubts about this man is  base on the
fact that he agreed to served an undemocratic government,he never joined the
pro-democratic movement,but hold on to his post as PM whiles Ivorians were
fighting and dying for a democratic country.
As I  have argued here also that Western propaganda and hypocrisy in
supporting this man is base on the simple fact that he can best serve their
interest as he did whiles the PM of the Country some few years back.The
political crisis in this country did not come about just after the
elections,it has a history and this what still unfolding.
During the pro democratic crisis it was not a question of the north against
the  south and now that some are losing grounds,they will have to create
such grounds and with such a heavy Western propaganda,there is bound to be
problems.
The very reason why Ouattara,finally got to the discussion table was the
simple fact that he knew he could not win the battle,it was not out of love
for  his country,if he can loyally serve a dictator and witness the unlawful
arrest and detention of democratic forces,what more would he not do ?

For Freedom
Saiks