GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:32:08 PDT
Hi Everyone,

I agree with Hamadi that this debate has preoccupied the minds of Africans
and, indeed, people from most parts of the world, for a very long time. I
also agree that Nkrumah was perfectly entitled to call himself by whatever
name he preferred. As far as I could remember, he was an African first and a
Ghanaian, second. I also remember when Ngugi raised this debate many years
ago, when he changed his name from James Ngugi to Ngugi wa Thiong'o.( Also a
Gambian, formerly called Lawrence Bruce-Oliver changed his to Goree Ndiaye
or something like that). I also heard the response from other African
intellectuals, most notably, Professor Eustace Palmer of Fourah Bay College.
Laurence Sterne in his book, 'Tristram Shandy' also looks at the subject of
names briefly. I am therefore aware of most, if not all, the arguments put
forward by the various schools of thought.

However, the question, for me, boils down to choice. If people feel they are
Gambian first and African second, and prefer 'Gambian' or 'African' names,
they are perfectly entitled to use those names. If, on the other hand,
people feel that they are Muslims first and Gambians/Africans second,(or
Badibbungka first and Gambian, second) what right do the rest of the people
have to tell them that they are wrong? Let us not forget that some of the
Ethnic Groups in The Gambia/Africa may well have Arab origins. As I
indicated before, the question is more complicated than some of us think.

Whether some people think 'Gambian' names have pagan connotations, it is up
to them. I know there are both types of name in a single family.  For
example, one can have both Malick and Saloum in the same family. I do not
believe their parents, or even they themselves, believe for one moment that
one is 'Pagan' and the other 'Islamic'. They say it is 'chossaan'. What some
Arabs and Christians thought about these names is another matter. They are
entitled to their views, even if many of us think otherwise.

I take the point about Mobutu, although I wished he had channelled his
engergies and resources in projects that benefited his impoverished people.
Probably more than any other African leader, Mobutu helped develop these
'foreign' countries by keeping millions of £s in their banks. I think it can
be safely concluded that changing his name and forcing others to follow suit
was simply a gimmick, a publicity stunt. The present President of Zaire is
called Laurent-Désiré Kabila, and one of the rebel leaders is Jean-Pierre
Bemba. Joseph Cardinal Malula was for many years the head of the
(catholic?)church of Zaire, and a/ the son of Patrice Lumumba is called
François-Eméry Lumumba Tolenga. What is the fundamental difference here
between Zaire and The Gambia regarding names?

I cannot comment on the other names Hamadi mentions in his posting, but I
still have doubts about Yassin. If we are to go by the list I posted
yesterday, Yaaseen is one of the names of the Prophet(SAW). Needless to say,
he was not a woman. In The Gambia, especially among the Wolof, Yassin is
sometimes associated with unsavoury language, and is commonly used in
insults or jokes. I therefore find it very hard to believe that it is the
name of the Prophet that is being used in this manner. I suggest Hamadi
comes up with a clarification. I do not see anything like it in his posting.
Cheers.

Momodou