GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:58:37 EDT
Latirr,
I think it is a good idea to organize such a farewell to Mr. Grey-Johnson.
Not to offend any one, but I just don't know if Mr. Grey-Johnson is been
treated fairly by the government. To officially announce that the gentle man
was recalled when he was just on contract for two years and it was just never
renewed is so unfair to him and disloyal to any contractor.
Secondly, Mr. Johnson is a good Gambian citizen who has been hard working
before this government and I hope he and a lot of them learn from what is
going. Yes, some of us might not see or know anything Mr. Johnson, might have
done good to the Gambian community here which is not new with Gambian
Ambassadors abroad any way.
If we are to call spade what it is, I am sure a lot might still agree with
me, but our community here has been more divided since our diplomats have
acted to benefit us together. The Gambian community in Washington has to come
together in a common theme which is going to be nonpolitical and
nondiscriminatory. We cannot rely on a political appointee to do it for us.
I wish Mr. Grey-Johnson a safe return to the Gambia. I hope the lessons he
might have learnt from his US posting are worth while enough for us to make
the best use of in the Gambia. Being his first diplomatic service and not to
do any inservice to him, the money his office and the government wasted to
advertise themselves whiles Jammeh sits at home and condemn the West is very
ironical. If not making work difficult for people like Mr. Johnson and some
very hard working Gambian diplomats, he might do better with a class in
history.
I personally will not be able to make it to the reception, nonetheless my
best wishes to him and his family. I think you all are doing a sincere and
heartfelt reception for him. Sister Dagwar and the rest who are calling the
people around here, I hope they will when another diplomat is leaving.

Ousman Bojang