GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alieu S Keita <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:30:06 -0500
As maturity and responsible reporting(by sending in useful information) is
what all of us are yearning for in the L and in other fora,i would
henceforth be sending herein information on certain developments in The
Gambia whether by NGOS,the local community,private institutions and the GVT
and other related aspects whether political or otherwise.Some of my arts may
either be retrieved statistics,culled newspaper arts and sometimes my
independent interpretation of things.
   please avoid personalising issues because the fairest way in any
discussion is to allow the other party to air out his/her version in order
to allow listeners,readers and the like make a judgement on  who to believe
or NOT.

1)FAO gives gardening equipment:13 wheel barrows and 2,284 watering cans to
villagers in URD.
Thirteen wheelbarrows and 2,284 watering cans have been given to women's
groups in the Upper River Division.
The donation was made by FAO,and the vegetable gardening equipment was
distributed on monday by Mr.Kansaikou Ceesay,horticulturist,on behalf of the
URD Agricultural co-dinator,Momodou.S.Kah.
You may recall that the D/FAO Mr.Jacque Diouf recently visited the Gambia
and commended it for doing well in the area of Agriculture and thus said
that the Gambia is among the first ten African countries that are nearing
being self-suffecient as far as food production is concerned.These are
statistics that have been gathered by experts at the
FAO who are CANNOT ofcourse be corrupted by the Jammeh-regime to sing a
lullaby for it!

2)Fifteen coos milling machines,10 cereal banks,two classroom blocks,four
seed and food stores,milk processing plant,a bee-keeping facility,a day care
center,VIP centre and an adult literacy centre are among provisions made by
the social development fund(SDF)during a year's operation in the central
river division.
It has also provided 3 power tillers,and five women's groups have benefitted
from loans totalling D144,000.00.
These achievements were listed by Kebba Sima,SDF's outreach and monitoring
officer,at a review forum at the commissioner's office in Janjanbureh.
The forum assessed the impact of SDF operations exchanged ideas with
collaborators and beneficiaries,and planned the way forward.
The commissioner commended the SDF for supporting 45 groups and 45 sub
projects which is all geared towards poverty eradication.

All criticisms and analysis or suggestions are welcomed.I appeal to all
those who wish to ask me questions whether they support the gvt or not to
avoid the usual "childish carricatures" this will allowus to challenge each
other in a matured atmosphere.
Mr. Camara list manager i would encourage your unbias approach and please do
not hesitate to put me or any other person on track when he/she infringes
the rules of the forum.
Even if some accuse you of being on the NIA pay roll do not respond to that
because i know some arch critics on the L who are constantly trying to be
recognised by the Jammeh regime:"ham yepp wah yepp baahut" so lets behave
and argue in a responsible way.Gambia is too small we all know each other be
it for the or for the bad.
Landing Jatta's anger stems from somewhere not on what Camara did.However,i
will respect the rules provided that this emerging fury of Landing Jatta is
not producing glowing sparks!
AL K.