GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:24:33 GMT
Boto,

I agree with you on the evils of the Jammeh regime, but you're being totally
economical with the truth on almost everything else. If Jawara's Gambia was
so good, why did we all leave? There are many who say the type of things
you're saying here, who left white-colar jobs in the Gambia to come and filp
burgers here in the West for a living. Why? All the smart people you've
listed have one thing in common: they all got educated outside the Gambia!
If Jawara was so good, how come Yaya Jammeh built a university in six years
when he failed to build one in almost thirty years? How about all the
much-needed secondary schools built since 1994?(Contrary to your assertions,
MOST Gambian children didn't have the opportunity to go to school. You
better check the stats again.) How about the hospitals built since?

Regarding provimcial schools getting free transports during vacations, you
need to specify that only Armitage school had such privilege. It's not true
that any other school had such luck. And to say/intimate that hospitals
under Jawara were good is a crude joke. People were dying like flies of
simple ailments all over the country. I can go on and on about your
misrepresentation.

But if you don't take anything from what I'm trying to say, take this much:
neither Jawara nor Yaya is good for the Gambia. We deserve better than both.
And you're not helping Gambians by falsely embellishing Jawara's record. We
will never progress when all we do is to deceive each other with blatant
lies. I can't stand Yaya Jammeh. Between Yaya's person and Jawara, I'll take
Jawara. But we have other choices. Let's look at those. Why lie about a
Jawara regime that never was? What are you trying to accomplish? Who are you
trying to fool?

We can only go forward when we put everything on the table, and establish
the truth. People like yourself who obviously have a personal ax to grind,
only discredit the genuine criticisms that many of us level at Yaya Jammeh.
So, if you love the Gambia like I do, tell the truth no matter where it
lies. Otherwise, get ready, because as long as I'm on this List, blatant
lies like you're telling here will not go unchallenged. Don't you think our
people have heard enough lies and seen enough hypocrisy already? Adhere to
the truth, if you want any respect here. That's the name of the game, my
friend!

Sorry I got to break this to you. I just can't stand lies, and hypocrisy ...

Saul.