GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:32:50 +0100
On 26 Feb 2001, at 16:15, Daddy Nying wrote:
> 2. EDUCATION
> Last year the government built 237 schools throughout
> the country under IDA sponsoreship, through the medium of Gamworks agency.

This figure about government building 237 schools is very misleading. I think
you mean 237 class-room blocks because I have seen some of these. Whenever you
have the chance, I think you should visit Panchang Basic Cycle School because
they could use one of these buildings. In November we bought 5 packets of
corrugated iron sheets and nails for them to have a roof for the only good
building they had there.

During my recent trip to The Gambia in November I was informed by many schools
in region 5 (CRD) that they were lack of papers since the beginning of the
school year in September. Imagine that a whole school was without a single
sheet of paper from September to November. How do you expect teachers to
prepare their lessons? Three of the schools were lucky because we had brought
them more than 50.000 sheets of A4 paper and other school materials. I visited
the regional Education Office in Jangjanbureh and was informed there that the
only paper that education department supplied to schools was the class
registers.

Have you travelled from Farafenni to Janjanbureh recently?  How is the
condition of that road?

Momodou Camara
Copenhagen - Denmark