GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:48:30 -0400
ICoast-politics
   I Coast ruler warns foreigners not to intervene in Ouattara debate

   ABIDJAN, Sept 21 (AFP) - Ivory Coast's military ruler General Robert
Guei
on Thursday warned foreign powers not to interfere in a nationwide debate
over
the eligibility of popular opposition candidate Alassane Ouattara in next
month's presidential poll.
   Ouattara, who is running against Guei in the elections, could see
himself
barred under new regulations brought in by the military leadership in July
and
criticised then by the former colonial power France and the United States.
   The new rules stipulate that candidates must have only Ivorian parentage
--
and Ouattara's opponents claim he is Burkinabe.
   The Constitutional Court is due to rule on Ouattara's eligibility early
next month.
   "If you have any friendship for Ivory Coast, you have to help us uphold
our
laws," Guei told diplomats.
   "I would not want you, accredited diplomats in Ivory Coast, to think for
moment that a law can be modified to please an individual."
   Diplomats had been summoned to the meeting, together with Ivory Coast's
military, political and civil society leaders, following an attack on
Guei's
residence Monday.
   Ouattara's supporters have been implicitly blamed for the attack.
   Ouattara was at Thursday's meeting.
   In an apparent reference to Ouattara's supporters, Guei said those who
had
voted against the referendum tightening the eligibility rules claimed they
had
the support of "foreign missions."
   "Some of those who contested the constitution even claim that their
position has the support of certain foreign missions whose representatives
are
in this room."
   Though Ouattara officially called for a yes vote to the constitution,
the
junta accused him of calling for a no vote.
   Guei also dismissed rumours that he had staged the attack on his house.
   "The serenity I displayed after this tragedy has prompted certain
malicious
elements to say that I was behind the assassination attempt on myself...To
suspect me of having sacrificed the life of two soldiers (who died in the
attack) is an unspeakably odious act," Guei said.
   crl/kc