GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
samateh saikou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:57:17 +0000

"The worst aspect being faced by patients who are admitted was the lack of a toilet at the ward. Relatives had to carry patients on their back and go to the back of the wards to go to ease themselves outside the wards."    Foroyaa Newspaper

For Freedom

Saiks> Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:24:56 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Fwd: Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues No. 16/2008, 6 – 7 February 2008> To: [log in to unmask]> > Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues> Issue No. 16/2008, 6 – 7 February 2008> > Editorial> SOS HEALTH SHOULD VISIT SERREKUNDA HEALTH CENTRE> Pitch darkness enveloped the Health Centre on Tuesday night as lights went > off without the operation of a generator. The people accompanying their > patients had to light candles to provide light. > The hospital personnel were surrounded by patients and those who accompanied > them. They were helping women suffering from birth pangs as well as patients > who were bleeding. > The worst aspect being faced by patients who are admitted was the lack of a > toilet at the ward. Relatives had to carry patients on their back and go to > the back of the wards to go to ease themselves outside the wards.> It is a common saying that the health facilities in the country are > equivalent to the best standards on the continent. The SoS should visit Serrekunda > Health Centre and explain to the Nation whether his government will be proud of > such a horrible state of affairs. It is time for the government to practice > what it preaches. > > Immigration Rounds Up Beggars and Newspaper Vendors> By Fabakary B. Ceesay> Following the press released issued by the Immigration department that > beggars will not be allowed begging in the streets and that strict measures will > be taken against anybody doing including deportation, personnel from the > Immigration department, on Tuesday, 5 February, rounded up both street vendors and > wheel chair beggars who usually sit in front of banks and supermarkets > around West Field junction and took them to Serrekunda Police Station.> According to the vendors, they were stunned by the move of the Immigration > officers, who arrested some of them on the spot. They said they were not aware > of any warning issued by the said department regarding street vendors, > especially newspaper sellers. The vendors explained that they thought that the > officers are only after the beggars as their press released indicates, but to > their surprise they were also included in the arrest. They said that as they > tried in vain to explain to the arresting officers that they, as newspaper > vendors, are contributing to the country’s development since it is the papers > that inform the public about developments taking place in the county; that the > response from the officers was that newspapers are not working for the state > but for their individual interests.> The Immigration Spokesperson, Superintendent Olimatou Jammeh Sonko, said > that she is not aware of any arrest; that she understands that the clearing of > beggars from traffic points is part of the operation that her office has > embarked on. She asserted that most of the beggars are non Gambians; that their > behaviour at the traffic junctions is endangering their own lives as well as > portraying a bad image of the country, especially during the tourist season. > Superintendent Jammeh Sonko said that as for child beggars (Almudos), her > office will liaise with the Social Welfare to help locate their relatives before > being deported out of the country to their respective countries. She said most > of the “Almudos” are either staying with their relatives or marabouts; that > they will conduct their enquiries to locate their parents. > On the arrest of the newspaper vendors, she said she is not aware of such an > incident. The Immigration PRO told this reporter that she was not in a > position to confirm the alleged arrest of wheel chair beggars and newspaper > vendors at West Field. She promised to make her findings by tomorrow. > The full text of the press release from the Department of Immigration is > below:> PRESS RELEASE FROM THE OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF IMMIGRATION> In accordance with the Immigration Information Policy, the Director General > of Immigration, hereby, informs the general public and the lawful custodians > of “Almoudos” that street begging is becoming rampant and the Department is > warning all and sundry that the act of street begging will no longer be > accepted. All responsible and concern citizens are strictly warned to desist from > street begging or risk arrest and possible deportation in case of alien > nationals.> Therefore the Department is warning all street beggars, in the strongest > terms, to desist from such behavior or risk facing the full force of the law. > These acts obstruct the flow of traffic and risk the lives of others. The > general public is henceforth warned to cooperate for the stability of our country. > The cooperation of all stakeholders is highly solicited in this national > crusade.> > Dr Mbowe Rejects Issuing of Expired Drugs> By Saikou Ceesay> The Director of Health Services, Dr Tamsir Mbowe, said that it is not > genuine for medical practitioners to issue expired drugs to patients, describing > the practice as inhuman. Dr Mbowe made these remarks in an interview with this > paper in his office yesterday afternoon. These remarks were made in response > to reports that expired drugs have been issued to patients at public health > facilities. > The Medical Services Director said that there is a believe by some that > patients can use drugs within a period of three to four months after their expiry > date but added that this has not been medically supported.> Dr Mbowe said “We want to make sure that expired foodstuff and expired drugs > will be out of the system.” He took the opportunity to advise all executive > officers in all health centres and pharmaceutical owners to “stick to the > rules.” He further said that the Department of State for Health and Social > Welfare will do everything to ensure that expired food stuff and drugs are not > circulated within the system.> Foroyaa has published a report on the issuing of ‘Chloroquine’ for > injection to a patient at the polyclinic in Banjul. Foroyaa has also received a > report on the issuing of expired salbutamol tablets to an outpatient. In both > instances, the drugs and the medical papers of the patient have been shown to us. > > President Jammeh Promotes An Independent Judiciary> News broadcasts by the state owned Gambia Radio and Television Services > (GRTS), indicate that President Jammeh has given moral support to an independent > judiciary. He gave the moral boost yesterday while swearing in two new > justices of the Supreme Court at State House yesterday. One of the new Justices is > from Ghana and the other is from Nigeria.> According to the broadcast, the President made it clear that “it is not my > purview to interfere with the judiciary” and that to interfere would > tantamount to “creating a dangerous precedent”, he emphasized. The judiciary, he > remarked, should operate in accordance to the constitution and the law.> In the broadcast, the President said that his office has been receiving > numerous complaints asking him to intervene in matters before the courts but he > has referred those cases to the Chief Justice. > > “This Man Stabbed Me”> (Sheriff Minteh’s Murder Trial)> By Saikou Ceesay> In the trial of Dodou Janneh, who is alleged to have murdered Sheriff > Minteh, the fifth prosecution witness (PW5) told the court that at the time of his > death Sheriff Minteh told them that he was stabbed by the accused.> The witness made this statement while testifying in the trial presided over > by Magistrate Kumba Sillah Camara at the Bundung Magistrates Court on Tuesday > 5 February 2008. The witness, who is said to be residing in London Corner, > is a sister to Sheriff Minteh.> PW5 told the court that she found the deceased lying on the ground on that > fateful night. She narrated to the court that, while the accused was standing > by, the deceased held the skirt of her younger sister, Mundaw, and told them > that the accused stabbed him. PW5 further told the court that when they > wanted to put on the torch light the accused told them not to do so. She said at > that point the deceased told her not to allow the accused to escape because he > (the accused) stabbed him (the deceased).> “I then ran to call my brother Dodou Minteh and after returning from the > telecentre I noticed that the deceased had been taken to our compound gate,” the > witness told the court.> She further said that the deceased asked her for water to drink but by the > time she returned with the water she found that the deceased had been taken to > Serrekunda Health Centre. > PW5 told the court that she did not go to the health centre because she knew > that the deceased would not survive.> She told the court that after the death of Sheriff Minteh, a police officer > came to their compound to obtain her statement.> The case proceeded in the absence of the defence counsels. Earlier on, > before the proceedings commenced, the case was set aside for forty minutes in > order to allow the counsels of the accused person to appear. > The case is to resume on Tuesday 12, 2008 for PW5 to be cross-examined by > the defence counsels.> > MARRIAGE AND FAMILY> Life Is Not A Game> Part 2> With Amie Sillah> > Essa And Sophiatou> The Plan> Essa explained his plan to Sophiatou. “The plan is simple. You have to see > the light of it. You are right, abortion is dangerous for you at this given > time. Keep the baby.” Sophia showed a sign of relief. Essa continued to explain. > “Keeping the baby to ourselves also is dangerous. We are in a catch 22 if we > don’t think straight. My friend, George is rich and generous. He is also > handsome. Someone has to raise our child for us.” “What has your explanation to > do with us? I can’t find the connection.” Sophie argued. “This is George’s > position with his mom. The rich old lady is pressurizing George to marry at > all cost before she joins her ancestors. She wants to see her grandchild. Our > baby can be given to George.” “How?” Sophie asked. “I’ll arrange you to > meet George. You’ll have an affair with him. Give him the pregnancy. His mom > will be very relieved. She will force him to marry you and through such an > arrangement our baby will have a secure future.” “What happen to our true love?” > She asked. “Well! We continue out true love in secret.” “Nonsense! Essa, > what have you taken me for? A prostitute! Get out of my house, my sight!” > Sophia pushed Essa out of her house. She saw his suggestion as very insulting to > her integrity.> > Aminata Encourages Sophie> Aminata, her course mate encouraged her to take the challenge. Sophie was > devastated. “Even you, Amie! You are encouraging me to play bond with George. > What happens to love and sincerity, oneness?” “They say love is a fool’s > paradise. What is love without wealth? Even your Essa have seen the logic. Go for > it girl! Go for it!” “Essa is acting under pressure. He is not thinking > straight. I love Essa. I’ll not leave him. I’ll not play bond with George.” “> There is a thin line between love and stupidity. Believe in Essa but accept > his plan. This will work to the advantage of your unborn child.” Amie tried > very hard to convince her friend.> > She Accepts The Plan> Sophie visited her boyfriend. “I have seen your logic. I have accepted. I am > very sorry that I have doubted you.” Essa hugged her. There is nothing to be > sorry about. I’ll plan for you to meet George. This is an easy way out of > our dilemma.” Essa hugged Sophie and gave her a passionate lip kiss.> > Meeting At The Restaurant> Before George went to the restaurant to meet Essa, he has a bitter argument > with his mom. She warned him. “I am tried of your bachelorship life. Find a > woman. Bring her home to marry. Don’t get drunk today. Be sober! Do what you > are supposed to do!” Mama advised. The friends met at the restaurant. Both of > them got drunk.> > Sophie Comes In> Sophie came in a red dress with a fashionable jewelry to match and a bag. > She was conspicuous to both men. Essa teased George and encouraged him to > approach Sophie. “Look at that fair damsel. She will make a good wife for you.” “> Wife! How can she be a wife to me when I don’t even know her? Marriage is an > institution. It has to be honoured.” George argued. “Buy her a drink.” Essa > advised “Okay!” Essa called the bar attendance. “Go to the lady wearing the > red dress and asked her what she would like to drink.” “Okay sir!” The bar > lady went up to Sophie and asked her what she was told. She made her choice of > drink. Later on the gentlemen joined her table. She proved hard to get but > later allowed George to take her to a hotel room. They have a deal and she > left.> > The Surprise Visit> Sophie waited for a month before paying George a surprise meeting. George > was surprised to see Sophie at his home. He let her in and was anxious to hear > her speak out. “Can I help you young lady?” “Can you remember me?” Sophie > asked. “Yes, I do.” “We had a one night stand at the hotel.” “Yes! What > about that?” “I am pregnant.” Sophie announced. “Nonsense! What do you take me > for? Only one night stand? Are you not educated enough to take care of > yourself? I cannot accept your story. Please excuse me. Give me time to sort out > myself. I don’t believe your story.” “Okay! I’ll give you time to sort > yourself out but I’ll be back.” Then Sophie left.> > George Confides In Essa> George was very frustrated. How can a girl appear from the blues to announce > that she was the one who impregnated her? He has no feelings for Sophie, > much more to talk about impregnating her. “Just one night’s stand? This lady is > playing a game.” He confessed to Essa. He tried to convince him. “Are you > not educated? It can happen at one stroke. It does not matter how many times > at the ovulation time. This is a perfect opportunity. Take the pregnancy. Don’> t throw away your blood. Moreover, the lady is beautiful and sophisticated. > This is a perfect solution to your mom “worries.” “I was taking about > abortion but Sophie would not hear of it.” “What did your mom say?” Essa asked. “> Sophie visited again and met mom at home. She became head over heels with it. > She said it is now my time to settle down. She had already made a shopping > spree for Sophie. She is thinking about wedding before she delivers. How can I > marry a total stranger?” Essa started to laugh at him. “Essa, it is not > funny. You have arranged the girl for me. You see what you have done! You have > put me in mess. Why can’t you marry her?” George argued. “How can I marry her > when she said she is pregnant for you? This is your luck. It will not marry > now. I can’t afford the expenses until I graduate.” Essa teased his friend.> > Mom Travels To Europe> Aunty Diana is travelling to Europe for a medical check up and to also to > check on the running of their family business. She bade Sophie good bye. “Mom, I> ’ll miss you.” “But its only three weeks. I’ll not take long this time > around because of you. I’ll do the wedding shopping in London. When I come back > you’ll have a registry marriage. It will still have pomp and show. George is > an only son of a wealthy widow. I have to show the world that my only son is > getting married to a dazzling damsel.” George refused to comment. Everything > is too much for him. “Will you not miss me?” Aunty Diana asked.” So it is > only my daughter in-law who will miss me? Allocate the sports car to car and > also a driver if she cannot drive.” “I can drive mom and I also have a driving > license.” “That’s fine.” “Open an account for her and my unborn grandchild.> ” She kissed both of them and left. Mom over protected Sophia.> To be contd.> > Technical Institute In Belgium Visits GTTI> Students and lecturers, numbering 106 from a technical institute in Belgium, > called Ostende Lind, visited the Gambia Technical Training Institute in > Jeshwang, on Friday, 1 February, 2008.> Mr. Lamin Camara, a lecturer at the GTTI, who represented the GTTI director, > welcomed the visitors and expressed the importance of the Ostende Link, > which he said is a landmark in the development of the school.> Mr. Camara also made mention of the achievements of the GTTI and expressed > hope that the two institutions would learn a lot from each other. > Mr. Hostyn Luuf, who spoke on behalf of the visitors, said they are truly > delighted to have the opportunity to visit the GTTI, to learn and to share > experiences with them. He described their one week visit as historic. He said, as > a Lecturer, he knows how important technical training plays to the > socio-economic advancement of any country. Mr. Hostyn finally expressed their > happiness on the way they were welcomed and also the hospitality of the Gambian > people.> The GTTI trains thousands of young school leavers in the areas of auto > mechanics, welding, construction, accounting, law, human resources etc. > > Financing Skills Development> A catalyst or a myth for business development> I am writing as a scholar and a concerned Gambian rather than my engagement > with the National Training Authority. I am very much excited with recent > discussions regarding the Education Levy in the Gambia media. This excitement is > as a result of the expectation that a pertinent issue of public interest is > being discussed with a hope that it would be given the due consideration in > the interest of all and sundry. Before bringing forth my thoughts, it is > important that we clarify the misrepresentation of the Education Levy as in the > Bite of the Point Newspaper of 30th January 2008.> First, let me point out that that there is no proposed Education Levy as > alleged in the article. The previous Education Levy was amended by Parliament in > June 2005 as the current National Education and Technical Training Levy > (NETTL). Since its amendment in 2005 the Act was illegally disregarded, despite > numerous efforts with the former Income Tax Department, until the coming into > operation of the Gambia Revenue Authority (GRA) in January 2007. Shortly > after this, the levy suffered a serious blow following its repeal on 13 February > 2007, through a Cabinet decision. > In short, a levy meant to finance skills development for the Gambian people > was only operational for less than a 2 month period following an alleged > business community outcry. Currently, a revised tariff for the levy is put in > place different from the previous Education Levy tariff, details of all these > levies could be found on the National Training Authority website (www.nta.gm), > the main beneficiary to the NETT Levy. > This article is not a defence to the Levy neither is it trying to nullify > the arguments put forward in the Bite but rather a brainteaser for us all to > search for solutions to the current dilemma facing the future of skills > development in the Gambia. I agree with the article in some aspects that profit is > independent of turnover. A business might certainly make huge turnovers but on > the contrary might as well make losses for the same trading period. In those > circumstances, it would be awkward to pay a levy based on turnover.> Nevertheless, someone is bound to foot the bill for skills development as in > all other countries. Skills development in the Gambia was designed to be > private sector led in terms of both its financing and management, thus the > National Education and Technical Training Levy (NETTL) and the National Training > Authority (NTA) management composition. Both Chairperson and Deputy of the NTA > are private sector highly respectable business persons who have been > steering the activities of the authority since its inception.> The idea behind private sector led skills development initiatives are to > bring the private sector into the classrooms, thereby ensuring a shift from the > supply-driven to a demand-driven approach. As the saying goes, “one who > pays for the piper dictates the tune”. The creation of training standards panels > for various priority sectors of our economy e.g. Tourism, Agriculture, ICT > etc, led and managed by the private sector is novel in the drive for > demand-driven approach to skills development. Details of such panels and their > composition are also available on the NTA website. In the very near future training > programmes in most training institutions will run programmes designed for > the Gambian industry, thereby producing the desired skilled human capital for > our industries.> Let me first note that the Gambia is in the right path to skills > development. The consultancy support the NTA received in 2006 from the EU during reforms > to Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in the Gambia has > given us an edge over most countries in the sub region. We all make references to > countries like Senegal and Ghana for their highly successful skilled > workforce, however visits to these countries revealed two main realities. > First, both of these countries lack a coherent skills (TVET) system. They > however try to address the issues of demand-driven haphazardly, which is hard > to coordinate to make the necessary impact. Ghana is currently on the verge > of reforming TVET similar to that of the Gambia satisfactorily executed a > couple of years ago. However, impact of such reforms will take time before it is > realized by industry.> Secondly, both countries and in particular Senegal have a highly successful > financing mechanism, which is mainly through a series of levies paid by the > private sector. Senegal, however is very intuitive in the use of these levies > for skills development. The NTA has been understudying the Senegalese system > and has created a Skills Training and Development Scheme as a strategy to > targeting training needs of businesses. However this scheme suffered a fatal > blow after the repeal of the long awaited levy.> A pertinent question for the NTA, government and businesses is how skills > development is going to be fully financed in the Gambia. The current financing > mechanism provides no future for skills development in the Gambia; neither is > it welcome by the business sector and is potentially bound to be evaded > where possible. This trend doesn’t provide any iota of hope to our development > efforts nor does it create the environment for Foreign Direct Investment and as > put in the Bite, it might lead to businesses leaving the Gambia.> We have recently witnessed the awarding of prices to the business community > at the Sheraton Hotel by GCCI. This is a laudable effort. However without a > skilled workforce, can we really compete internationally for such awards. We > have seen at least a couple of Gambian businesses receiving international > awards but do we really reflect and ask the composition of their workforce. I > would suggest to the GCCI that the evaluation criteria used by their consultants > for the business awards to include a criteria to measure staff training and > development of enterprises. > It is obvious that the future growth of a business is highly dependent on > the capacity of its workforce. With a highly competitive global market, there > is bound to be an ever demanding need for not only a skilled workforce but > relevant skills for our business activities. Businesses have a social corporate > responsibility. Therefore, there is need for businesses to dedicate funds for > a national skills development initiative.> I am currently writing an academic paper on Sustainable Skills Development > for Sub Saharan Africa and obviously it is natural to take Gambia as a case > study since we are currently faced with such a dilemma. In the paper, I intend > to review the various forms of Skills development financing mechanisms in sub > Saharan Africa with a view to outlining strategic issues for the government > to pursue, to resolve the current predicament facing skills development in the > Gambia. > In a subsequent article I will highlight the direction of the NTA in terms > of skills development in the Gambia and report on recent achievements as well > as shortcomings with a view to informing the business community of the > potential benefits the authority has for them and The Gambia as a whole. > Abdoulie O Jallow, > Director Quality Assurance, NTA and Graduate Student at the National Taiwan > Normal University, Taiwan.> > Burama Saho> Sublime Kora Player> Today’s edition of Arts and Music Column puts Burama Saho, a sublime kora > player under the spotlight. Mr. Saho whose prowess in kora led him to represent > his country in various international festivals, talks about issues ranging > from how he fell in love with the ancient music instrument and the state of > Gambian music.> Saho further speaks about the need to preserve Gambian art and role of > national council for Art and Culture in doing so.> > By Musa Barrow> > Could you give a brief personal history of yourself?> Saho: Well, as you rightly mentioned in your introduction my name is Jali > Burama Saho. I was born and brought up in Misera, Sandu, Upper River Region. > Both my parents who were artists were born in the Gambia.> How did you learn to play kora?> Saho: I started learning to play kora as a past time. I used to travel in > the dry season to do manual jobs in order to earn myself income. It was only > during the rainy season that I concentrated on ,my kora lessons. And > astonishingly for me I was able to learn kora within a period of one year and five > months This period I must say is remarkable in the sense that it takes some > people five years before getting their qualifications as standard kora players. I > got my first personal kora in 1976 and with it I traveled to many countries > in the West African sub-region which helped me to learn to speak some > languages in the countries.> How on earth did you manage to learn kora within such a short period of time > given the fact that it takes some people nothing less than five years?> Saho: I would attribute this to hard work and dedication. In addition to > that I should say that I was introduced to kora by my father when I was a young > lad. I can still remember as a young boy whenever my father was angry, > instead of beating me he would dismantle a kora and ask me to fix every part in the > right place. So in a nutshell, I was quite conversant with kora before > formally starting to learn it. Furthermore, as a kora student the instrument was > an inextricable part of my life. I used to sleep and wake up with kora. Above > all, in every endeavour one embarks on, one should show a great deal of > interest and commitment to it.> After having been declared a standard kora player, when did you start your > artistic career?> Saho: My artistic career began in 1976 immediately after having been > declared a standard kora player and it took off in a rather bizarre manner. In 1976 > when I traveled to Senegal most of my colleagues were doing manual works such > as fetching water. I also had a contract with a woman to fill her water > containers everyday. Then one day when I completed filling these containers, as I > started to play my kora, another woman approached me and said I had been > seeing you playing this instrument over the TV, this is my first day to see it > physically. The woman after having been thrilled invited me to perform for > her and her family. It was on this very day that I abandon my former work and > started performing on various occasions. After my exploits in Senegal I also > traveled to countries like Guinea, Mali, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso and Sierra > Leone where I spent four years. > When was your first tour outside Africa and who were the organizers?> Saho: My first trip outside Africa happened in 1995 when as a member of the > then National Troop toured United States. The National Council for Art and > Culture were the organizers of this tour. During this tour we were lodged at > Detroit, but performed and visited states like Ohio, Alabama, Atlanta and New > York. Our second trip to United States was in 1996 and the NCAA was also > behind this tour.> During your two tours to United States, what reception did you get from > Gambians residing in United States?> Saho: Although Gambians did turn up in large numbers to watch our show, but > they were outnumbered by Americans; however, we were well received by > Gambians based in the United States. > Who organized those two festivals in the United States and what was the > objective of the festivals?> Saho: The man behind those festivals was the late Dr. Pierson, an African > American who stood for Pan-Africanism. The ultimate objective of the festivals > I was made to understand was to promote as well as showcase African culture > and tradition. The festivals also gave us the opportunity to propagate the > name of our country > Do you have any unpleasant memory during your tours of the United States?> Saho: In our 1995 tour, artists of National Troop were offered an allowance > by city council of Middle Town, Ohio, this offer was without any hesitation > rejected by one of our officials. This decision by this particular official > did not go down well with most of the National Troop members. And it truly > outraged them.> How much money was allocated to every member of the troop prior to your > visits to United States?> Saho: In addition to our monthly salaries which we were entitled to during > the period of our visits we were allocated two thousand dalasi and four > thousand dalasi as allowances in 1995 and 1996 respectively.> Foroyaa: What criteria do you think was used to select representatives in > those two international festivals?> Saho: The first criteria I believe was our regular registration with > National Council for Art and Culture. In addition those selected were also extremely > good in the trade.> How did you go to Ireland?> Saho: Well, in 1998 a friend who was quite impressed with me invited me and > three of my colleagues to Ireland where we spent seven weeks. After that in > 1999, I again with the National Troop returned to the United States.> In the same year 1999, my Guinean friend who was residing in the United > States returned home and told me that he was going to take me back to the United > States. He was disappointed that in our earlier trips he urged me to abscond > which I refused. The reason why I refused was because I was on a national > mission, absconding to me would mean deserting national cause. After presenting > all my documents to the American consular in Conakry, he insisted that since > I was on my way to work as a kora instructor at the University of California, > I had to first obtain a work permit from the United States before issuing me > a visa. Unfortunately, I tried to get one but I could not.> So if that trip had gone through you would have been a kora instructor at > the University of California?> Saho: Exactly right. In fact I have taught kora to many people, both > Europeans and Africans. Recently one student of mine who is an Israeli national sent > me a cassette of his performance.> How do you see the state of music in this country? Does the future look rosy?> Saho: Truly, the state of Gambian music is not encouraging at all. In fact > the disheartening and inconceivable thing is that foreign artists are given > more respect by Gambians than local artists. In one roots festival in Gambia > here, Malian artists were allocated fifteen minutes to perform on the stage, > while Gambian musical groups were only given ten minutes. Such things do > demoralize home grown artists. After this show the Malian artists teasingly told us > that we would teach you to become better artists next year.> In the following year we protested to national council for art and culture > that we should be given the same time limit as our Malian counterparts. This > time around after the show the Malians acknowledge our skills and saluted us > knowing well that we are as good as any other group.> Recently one Gambian artist during an interview had bluntly claimed that > national council for art and culture is not supportive of Gambian artists, Do > you share his opinion?> Saho: I totally concur with that fellow. The council is always complaining > about acute fund shortage even without funds they could have persuaded artists > willing to work for the nation to form a national troop. The NCAC should > double their efforts to ensure that artists of this country are supported. After > all the council is here for artists. > It is often claimed that Gambia has some of the best kora players in the > African sub-region. But why is it that Gambian music in terms of popularity > trails behind Malian and Senegalese music?> Saho: It is an undisputable fact that Gambia has got some of the best kora > players. However, the reason why Gambian music is secondary to both Malian and > Senegalese music is because Gambian music industry is less organized > compared to those countries.> What is the role of artists in traditional Gambian society?> Saho: Artists played a very crucial and eminent role in traditional Gambian > society. They served as custodians of history, mediators and advisers. Before > Western colonization of Africa, artists also played the role of modern day > journalists. Furthermore, artists should always be an upright person ready to > defend nothing but the truth.> How do you see Gambia’s upcoming and young artists?> Saho: It is a cause for concern that Gambia’s young artists do not play what > we all called traditional and cultural music. As a consequence I feel our > traditions and cultures are threatened. Most of these young artists are in fact > commercial artists who are just interested in amassing wealth as much as > possible.> Most of these young artists do claim that the reason why they are not > playing what you called cultural Gambian music is because splendid and veteran > Gambian artists like yourself never gave them the opportunity to learn cultural > music?> Saho: As far as I am concerned that argument does not hold water. These > young artists do not approach veteran musicians with a view to learn something. > How can we teach them when they do not approach us?> One veteran Gambian artist is currently working to establish a music > academy. How do you see that?> Saho: Well, the establishment of a music academy in this country is > undoubtedly a step in the right direction. If it happens it is going to enhance the > quality of Gambian music. At one point in time I also had the same idea, but > due to lack of funds I had to halt.> Despite not establishing my music academy, I do teach both Gambians and > non-Gambians on how to play kora. > What would be your advise to young aspiring Gambian artists?> Saho: Let the young artists be enduring, hard working and not hesitant. > Whenever they need guidance let them consult the veterans. > > YPM Gambia To Stage 3rd National Child Friendly Award> By Modou C. Nyang> Mrs. Fatou Camara Saidy, the Chairperson Board of Elders of the Young People > in the media, talked on the importance of the forthcoming child friendly > award slated to take place on the 16 of February 2008. According to her, the > National Child Friendly award is a day set aside by Gambian children and young > people to recognize the giant roles played by individuals and institution in > protecting and promoting their rights and wellbeing.> Mrs. Camara Saidy said this year’s award is another development that > contributes to the participation of children and young people in the country. She > noted that the award ceremony encourages the entire population to invest and > promote child friendly activities, which will bring about healthy living > standards for children and young people in the Gambia. She said that this year’s > award will be made with a difference, since it will coincide with the one year > award anniversary of young people in the media.> She further noted that within a year YPM Gambia has made remarkable > milestone achievements. She said these are clearly manifested in the numerous > activities, such as conferences in which her organization participated, both in the > Gambia and abroad.> Satang Naban, Secretary General of the organization, hailed the efforts of > dynamic individuals and institutions that make the plight of children a matter > of great concern. She also recognized the efforts of their pacesetters and > child friendly adults and institutions that have made heroic contributions to > the cause of Gambian children and young people.> Abdou Jatta, the president of YPM, also expressed similar sentiments adding > that this year’s awards will include the following;> · Child friendly hero of the year. > · Honorary child friendly Ambassador of the year.> ·Academic per excellence.> ·Child Right advocate of the year.> ·Outstanding child friendly institution of the year.> ·Young journalist of the year.> ·Child rights activist of the year.> > Jatta disclosed that the award ceremony will take place at the Paradise > Suites Hotel, on 16 February, 2008 at 7.00pm. > > > > > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music. > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025> 48)> > ����������������������������������������������������������> To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface> at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html> > To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l> To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to:> [log in to unmask]> ����������������������������������������������������������>

Telly addicts unite!

http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml