GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:51:48 +0800
Comrades:

I am really disturbed by the tactics the United
Democratic Party is playing.  Before the scheduled
symposium in which the UDP leader was to attend, we
were informed that Mr. Ousainou Darboe had far more
pressing things to administer to in The Gambia.
Because of this, the informant told us, the UDP
leader would not be able to attend the symposium.
My responsibility as a crusader of democracy is to
dialogue with members of the opposition.  My policy
is to be direct to the point and speak the truth, which is a traditional Gambian style.  I am not here to condemn, but to disagree in principle.

After numerous condemnations by members of the L, the
UDP leader boarded a plane, only according to the
informant was delayed.  This from the informant's
assertion, Mr. Darboe was enroute as we assembled at the symposium. Please take note of my concern.

Well my friends, it has been two weeks since
Mr. Darboe's arrival in the states.  My question is,
didn't Mr. Darboe have far more pressing things in
The Gambia?  Was this a deliberate attempt my the
UDP leader to avoid the symposium so that he
would not be in the same audience with Hon. Hamat Bah
and Brother Halifa Sallah?  We had an opportunity
to dialogue with these leaders.  Our strategy was
bulldozed by the UDP leader. I thought the registration process is still going on in The Gambia.

Comrades, I just cannot sit idle and let the UDP
dictate to us the strategy we should use in flushing
out the dictator.  The UDP cannot claim to have
a unilateral right to our struggle.  I cannot be
part of a gang that will give a blanket support to
the UDP without setting conditions.  Power and
prestige should not prevent us in defending the
very principle we have been fighting for.  I would
rather be condemned for speaking the truth than
take a "kanyelay" attitude in trying to be
different in our struggle.  Please let us not
personalize or triblize our desire for a free Gambia.

On the unfortunate day of July 22, 1994, I scrambled
to define the dangerous nature of events in our
Gambia.  In illustrating from a historical perspective, I sanctioned the wrong turn of events
in The Gambia and how a setback it was for African's
ideal democracy to fall in the hands of the military.
During my numerous trips to Gambian occasions in the
states, I was fortunate to meet friends and enemies
whose instructions clearly made me to stay adamant
in my desire for a free Gambia.  I personnlly
remember Mr. Mustapha Carew, a Gambian leaving in
Miami who advocated that I form my own political
party.  My reply to the gentleman was that at this
critical moment in our struggle, our initiatives in
flushing out the dictator must not be an individual
effort.  My assertion in this principle is that we
must collectively join together and not let our personal ambitions dictate our evil intentions.  I
assured Mr. Carew that, though we all aspire to be
Presidents of The Gambia, we should have only one
Presidential Candidate against the dictator of kaninlai.  I must find gratitude in posting a moment
for the late Hon. Alhagie MC Jallow.

While the UDP has a right to follow its instincts, my
prediction is that the opposition will be driven back
to the bush and the evil forces occupying our domain
will assert terror on the very people we are trying to
fight for.  Why is it that we cannot lay foundations
and dialogue with the opposition leaders in selecting
a candidate who can lead us?  In choosing a candidate,
we have a duty to reach out to those Gambians who
have been barred from electoral process.  It is an
entity theory if the opposition takes a selfish
approach in not fighting for the plights of the
barred politicians.  Even though these comrades have
been denied political process for about seven years,
their roles in Gambian political atmosphere cannot be
underestimated.  My question is, is the UDP afraid
of the former politicans?  Will the UDP disintegrate
when decree 89 is repealed.  Comrades, this is from
a realistic point.

As I sit here in Greensboro, NC, I am compelled to
take the high road of politics.  I am of the conviction that we will not win the slated presidential election.  Our efforts will be bulldozed
by those who want to enlighten their political
aspirations in narrower forms.

My appeal thus, please comrade let us stand up.  The
only solution for a yahyaless Gambia is a United Front.  A family that prays together, stay together.
A house divided will not stand.  Why rock the boat.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh, MBA
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency