GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:46:07 EDT
Joe,
       the questions you asked regarding the recepients of Yahya's $20,000
bribe ultimately revolves around the fatal character flaw that lurkes in the
heart of many a Gambian. The questions of murder, plunder and abject creulty
of Yahya Jammeh and his government don't matter to these people. There is
nothing in this planet that would inbue morality in these people. To them
Yahya has not specifically murdered their relatives and if they can posture,
lie and in someway get some of the plundered money they will eagerly oblige.
No single proponent of the regime has ever come to this list and dispute the
following: Yahya Jammeh is personally culpable in the murder of dozens of
Gambians, he has presided over a regime that has tortured , abducted and
illegally detained hundreds of our citizens, he has criminally conspired and
continue to steal public funds. All of the grievances we constantly talk
about have their foundations on actual events. What we hear from those who
support Yahya and his government is a base and vile attempt at rationalising
these grave and unforgivable crimes. They never explain how a nation can move
forward when manumentally grievious crimes are and continue to be comiitted
against a nation and it's people. Even if Yahya Jammeh goes the Emperor
Bokassa route and not only stop at murdering innocent people but actually
starts eating them up, there will be Gambians who will join him at his dinner
table as co-cannibals. It is just the way they are . Bad and evil with no
sense of shame and willing to do anything to get a few crumbs is what these
folks are. They don't give a hoot what happens to the 99% of the Gambian
people who are wallowing in destitution. We can take solace in the fact that
positive change has always been driven by principled and determined people
who are driven by the sheer needs of their people. The future of  our country
will not be shaped by morally bankrupt people out to cuddle a brutal tyrant
because they anticipate favors from illgotten gains.
Karamba