GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:25:19 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 7:45 PM
Subject: REBELS WEAR UPDF UNIFORM!...60 Killed ...THE MONITOR

"The area youth delegate to the district council, Mr Bob Okodi, told The Monitor that the rebels wore uniform similar to that of the UPDF"

Netters:

Some NRM Sycophant  wanted me to prove to him that the  so called rebels wore  UPDF UNIFORMS......I hope  now that he has got his prove  what, if anything, does he have to say?

Matek

Rebels Kill 60

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

The Monitor (Kampala)

November 10, 2003
Posted to the web November 10, 2003

Frank Nyakairu & Agencies
Kampala

More than 60 people were killed in the north last week by suspected rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army, religious officials said at the weekend.

"Thirty people were killed in the villages of Awayapiny and Alanyi, 20 in Omarari and nine more at Omoro North Primary School - all in Lira district on Thursday night," Fr. Sabbat Ayele, a Catholic missionary, told AFP.

Ayele quoted witnesses as saying that the rebels beheaded some of the people while a number of grass-thatched huts were also torched.

He said that one person was also killed at Adweki trading centre on the road leading to Soroti from Lira.

"I talked to a woman by the name of Consolata Atim, one of those people beaten up by the rebels, who told me that she witnessed people being beheaded," said Ayele, an Eritrean Comboni missionary.

The army spokesman Maj. Shaban Bantariza said only 42 people have died.

"To be exact the number is 42 with 21 of them killed on Friday night alone," Bantariza said yesterday.

"They are avenging the death of Tabuley and I wonder why they are doing it in Lango when we killed him from Kaberamido [in Teso]," Bantariza added.

The army announced last week that it had killed a top LRA commander called Charles Tabuley.

Meanwhile, Joe Wacha reports from Lira that seven people were killed yesterday morning after more than 20 rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army raided Sunday Club, a market at Akura parish in Aloi sub-county, 25 miles from Lira on the road to Kitgum.

The area youth delegate to the district council, Mr Bob Okodi, told The Monitor that the rebels wore uniform similar to that of the UPDF.

He said the rebels opened fire on area residents who had gone to the market, killing seven on the spot.

He identified some of the dead as Mzee Odyek, Odong Auci, Ogwel Okeng, Okello Omara Adriano, Opido Martin, and Jackson Okabo.

Mr Okodi said the traders were forced to abandon their merchandise as they fled into the surrounding bushes. Lt. Chris Magezi, the spokesman of the army's 5th division, had not yet verified the report by press time.

The officer said he was only aware of an attack in the area the previous night in which, he said, two people were killed.