GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 22:54:20 -0500
The following was culled from the U.N Press release page:

                  Press Release
                  SG/T/2227

ACTIVITIES OF SECRETARY-GENERAL IN GAMBIA - 28 APRIL

Secretary-General Kofi Annan arrived in Banjul in the morning of Friday, 28
April, for the first-ever visit by a
Secretary-General to the Gambia.

At midday, he met with President Yahya Jammeh for over an hour, most of that
time one-on-one.

The Secretary-General then had a brief encounter with the Gambian press. He
volunteered that he had raised with the President
the issue of the recent student riots in the Gambia, and said that the
President had assured him that those responsible would be
prosecuted. Asked for the United Nations’ position on human rights, the
Secretary-General said that the people must know of
their rights and do whatever they could to defend them. It was not an issue,
"that we should leave to governments alone to
defend". He then attended a luncheon hosted by the President.

In the afternoon, he attended a ceremony renaming Old Cape Road in Banjul to
"Kofi Annan Street". The Secretary-General's
final activity was the inauguration of United Nations House. This is a
facility for all United Nations agencies working in the
Gambia, subsidized in part by the Government.

He departed late on Friday afternoon for Libreville, Gabon.

* *** *

 Abdoulie A. Jallow
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter".
 - Dr. M. L. King Jr.