GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:41:17 EST
KB,
Thanks again for putting it straight. As you rightly said, this is a war and
the lines have been clearly demarcated. One is either for or against. One
cannot straddle both camps at the same time and expect to get away with it.
For the life in me, what do they expect us to call Jammeh? H.E. Retd. Colonel
Dr. Alhagi Yahya AJJ Jammeh, President of the Republic of the Gambia?
Goodness! I wonder where it will all end?
Brother, the last time i watched Jammeh being given such accolodes was when
the likes of Oustaz Imam Cherno Kah went to grace a handing-over ceremony.
And Jammeh's compliments? Well, he just did his usual: Showering  tirades on
elders old enough to be his grandfather. And people like Musa Jeng really
believe that if we speak nicely to the guy he will heed us! So if Jammeh
disrespects the likes of Kah they honestly expect him to respect us? Elders
like Imam Kah failed to bring the best out of Jammeh but - yes you guessed
right - outspoken nonentities like Hamjatta suddenly can do the unthinkable:
Make Jammeh respect them or even influence him to change? Are these people
for real? This can't be only naivety. There must be more to this than mere
breath-taking naivety.
Brother, i urge to remain steadfast in your convictions and do not budge an
inch. Once again i thank you for everything.

Hamjatta - Kanteh