GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:38:31 EDT
This story is sad and appalling, and infuriates me.

All this talk of hospitals and schools which are just window dressing is pure
nonsense. The non-challance by the medical staff towards this boy's injuries
is amazing and does not speak well for these so-called health profesionals
who are supposed to save lives.

Well, Dave Manneh, my sincere condolences to you and your family on this
senseless tragedy, and this is a good example as to why Gambians need to take
a hard look at their tendency to subscribe to party politics that are not
grounded in anything substantial.
All those extolling Jammeh's success which is measured by the schools whose
fees the average Gambian parent cannot afford, and hospitals that ignore
emergency cases and which have no equipment, medication or enough caring
health professionals to meet the needs of the people, but are merely just
structures to point to as signs of success; are doing our country a huge
dis-service.

This can only happen in a country where people who should know better have
chosen to bury their heads in the sand.

We will never get what we deserve if we do not demand expertise and service
to the people that an able government is supposed to make its' agenda, and we
will never have an able government if we continue to blindly support
political leaders whose agenda is deception and greed at the expense of the
people, instead of assessing their performance on the job and then basing our
decisions to continue to support them on whether they have served us well or
not..

Jabou Joh