GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BambaLaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:18:28 -0500
<<http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093456749832.html?
oneclick=true#>>

It looks like the number one man in Gambia (I hate to give him this title)
has been seriously duped by the "American Biographical Institute." I
remember the hype on the Daily Observer when this "award" was confered to
Tony 'Daayelle' Daabaa. You see why I said this idiot will drool to his
death! What a shame! This looney will keep on disgracing Gambians as long
as he keeps calling himself 'president'. I am short of words on this one.
See the article below and the section of Tony 'Daayelle'Daaba's CV that
shows the award.

"March 1999 Appointed Deputy Governor of American Biographical Institute
Research Association (ABIRA) North Carolina, United Stated of America."

--
BambaLaye

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-M.L King Jr.
<Scam of the year a snip at $195
By Richard Baker
State Political Reporter
August 27, 2004

Consumer Affairs Minister John Lenders has been asked to investigate a scam
being run by a group called the American Biographical Institute after it
told a Labor MP he would get a decree confirming his nomination as
2004 "man of the year" if he paid $US195 ($A276).

Mitcham MP Tony Robinson told Parliament on Wednesday night the institute
had told him of his nomination for the award, which institute president J.
M. Evans claimed was designed to "uplift the accomplishments of our fellow
Americans".

"The task of choosing such a group from around the world is overwhelming to
say the least," Mr Evans wrote. "The institute's international board of
research decided on your nomination due to your overall accomplishments and
contributions to society."

Mr Robinson said the institute invited him to send an extra $US100 to a
North Carolina address if he wanted the deluxe version of his
degree, "custom laminated in Finnish birch".

He told Parliament that while his nomination made him proud, he was unsure
if it was for his 13 reserves games for an E-grade football club or because
of his contribution to politics.

Speaking more seriously, Mr Robinson said it was important the people
behind the scam be stopped from requesting Australians to send money for a
meaningless award.

An internet search by The Age could not find a home site for the institute.
But countless websites refer to people claiming to have received awards or
nominations from it. Gambian President Yahya Jammeh lists on his official
CV awards conferred by the institute, including a nomination for 1997 man
of the year and a 1998 "gold record of achievement" award.

Mr Lenders said that while he did not doubt Mr Robinson's potential to be
man of the year, it was important Victorians ignored such scams.

"It is very difficult to retrieve money from scams like this that are run
overseas," he said. "This is a scam that is well known to Consumer Affairs