GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:35:00 +0100
Comrade,

Thanks for sharing your viewpoints on the flag bearer discussion. There are
indeed varying opinions among Gambians as to who should lead NADD and it
seems the exercise of selecting the most suitable candidate is being stymied
by 'politricks' within NADD itself and the 'independent minded journalism'
of which we have seen an eccentric brand of lately, is not helping the
issue; thus making  even more urgent the need for all of us to speak our
minds.

From an ideological point of view, the ideal flag bearer should emerge from
PDOIS, the reason fro which I'll come back to later. Having said that, I'd
like to add that the most media exposed personality among the PDOIS
leadership, at least among 'intellectual' circles, is by far, Halifa Sallah.
(Just before setting out to write this message I saw yours requesting info
on who penned the MOU).

I am in no doubt that you are quite aware of PDOIS' style of collective
leadership as opposed to the one 'leader' syndrome that we are accustomed
to, not only in The Gambia but throughout the rest of the continent. In that
regard, it will be inconsequential -  if the flag bearer were to be selected
from PDOIS - whether it will be Halifa or Sidia. But from the point of view
of mass appeal (outside 'intellectual's circles), taking into consideration
the ethnic demography of the country, Sidia would be the most suitable in my
opinion. Both are what I would term 'detribalised' Gambian and woe betide
the tribalist that tries to influence these comrades with well documented
track records of selfless dedication to the upliftment of the masses.

Needless to say, the word 'masses' has a significant connotation in these
guys' political philosophy as anyone who has followed their political lives
cannot fail to have discerned. (Believe me, I am depressed at not being able
to trace Sidia's 'classic resignation letter' as you called it, as it would
have put into perspective much more eloquently the thinking behind the man).

For me personally, a very significant factor in the whole exercise hinges on
'trust' and it is particularly 'trust' that feeds my contention that
ideally, Sidia (Halifa/PDOIS) is our man. These guys have demonstrated
beyond any reasonable doubt that they are not interested in power just for
the sake of it and I can bet my life that given the opportunity he would
lead a transition government of reform, honouring and respecting in its
entirety the spirit of the MOU.

From the days when all of them, including Sam, were in government service
they have tirelessly sought more out of their careers than just a salary and
the glory of being well placed civil servant. In fact it is no accident of
history that these guys found each other with a shared political destiny,
two having been fired for supposedly clandestine subserversive activities,
the other tendering that classic resignation letter which every time I read
it, gave me goose-bumps!

The opening line, the vein of which was along the lines of how one morning
at the impressionable age of a school-beginner, his father called him into
his hut and told him he was going to send him (Sidia) to school and the
expectations he had for him to equip himself intellectually in order to
enable himself to handsomely contribute toward national development.... how
he eventually ended up at the education department after excelling in his
chosen field, only to be brutally awakened to the same
realisation/frustration that many progressive African intellectuals have
suffered - that the government of the day was not at all serious about
national development and therefore his time would be better spent somewhere
else doing something that can benefit the masses - goes far toward
demonstrating the principle and integrity. So PDOIS and the ideology that
bound and continues to bind them together is somehow a marriage of
romantics. The track records of both Sidia and Halifa in parliament continue
to bear testimony to the fact. They carry out their duties to the nation
with religious fervour.

So it is no accident either that Halifa, according to leaks from the
nomination negotiations, when nominated, declined whiles some other members
continue to hold the whole process hostage. Bearing in mind the essence of
coming into existence of NADD, one cannot help but wonder if they harbour
ulterior motives?

The whole idea of NADD came into existence so that Jammeh's
self-perpetuating rule could be ended, knowing full well that no single
party can on its own dislodge his despotic regime. The very act of this
deadlock in selecting a flag bearer is a demonstration of a lack of spirit
and is a dishonour to the MOU.

I do understand your reference to other coalitions that have taken place
elsewhere on the continent and there are many lessons to be learned from
them but ours, to me is a unique situation. When SOPI came into existence in
2000 for example, it was to fight a second round of voting which they saw as
their only chance of dislodging Joof. In the Gambian context, it is the
contrary, the coalition came into existence because Jammeh has mutilated the
constitution, forfeiting the possibility of a second round of voting.

Had NADD been formed after a deadlock in a first round of voting, the leader
of the most populous party  as the logical flag bearer would be a far gone
conclusion. UDP in my opinion, has been very lacklustre in the communication
sphere. One would have expected a party of its size and calibre to at least
have an organ of communication.

Does Darboe harbour any political ambitions beyond 2011, for example? If
word is not coming out of the party office on such significant questions it
is only natural that many are sceptical about him being selected flagbearer.
Would he honour the spirit of the MOU in the event he is selected? There is
little reference on Darboe for one to be able to make a comprehensive
assessment of his political philosophy aside from popular utterances he has
made from rally platforms.

His fallout with Waa and the subsequent birth of NDAM still leaves many
important questions unanswered and if I may add, some bad blood. Considering
the fact that when a flag bearer is eventually selected all hands are
expected on deck campaigning as if our lives depend on it - which in a way
it does - I would like to again reiterate that from my point of view Sidia
would make the best runner.

Your humble self, Buharry, as always, and Mo Baldeh, among others have
brought out some thought provoking aspects of the whole exercise and I hope
this necessary flow of exchange will continue into October and beyond.

Regards,

Kabir.

PS: In my search for Sidia resignation letter I stumbled upon a hand written
letter you sent to me in '86.  scan and forward it to you tomorrow, Allah
willing ! :-)