GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 22:28:44 GMT
Mr. Ambassador,

I'm amused that you "miss" me. The last time we exchanged "greetings" you
all but declared me a hater and a killer. I did tell you what I think of
your opinion of me, so you're most welcome to perceive me any way you want.
Regarding my questions, they still stand. You don't need me to reiterate
those questions to get an answer. Go ahead and answer them. I'd like to
believe that most people on this distro have a good enough memory to recall
the gist of what I asked you. Nothing could be simpler than telling me what
blood relative of your's was killed by your boss' order. Or have you been
asking around these past weeks to establish which "relative" it was. I don't
need a minute to tell you who among my sister's children witnessed a
friend's murder. I've known that answer since April 10th. Why would it take
you all this time to research something that should be uppermost in your
mind during those heady days last month?
And by the way, my questions have provoked quite a significant amount of
adjoinders/supplements if you will. I hope you'll be brave enough to answer
all of those questions. For some weird reason, I sometimes have a feeling
that you're truly struggling to break free of Jammeh's apron strings, but
your satanic (greedy/selfish) side always prevails. If you can muster the
courage to do so, you'll sleep better. That much I can tell you. I know of
many former Gambian diplomats in the US earning a living the hard -BUT
conscientious way. It's nothing compared to what Jammeh's
eight-European-nation Ambassador may be exposed to, but neither does it
entail the constant hair-splitting, and tall tale telling that you are
engaged in. If you ever want to go back to sleeping like a baby, you've got
some role models to look up to. Just a thought.

Kabir/Hamjatta,

Due to a crazy schedule, I can only read a fraction of the postings these
days. I'm involved in a project that literally drains me daily -both
physically and mentally. But I haven't missed any of your postings (both of
you) these past few weeks.  I'm really enjoying this latest engagement with
Mr. Ambassador. Essa Bokarr Sey indeed sometimes come across as a cross
between Houdini and Ajantala. One minute he's ready to shoot down anyone who
dares him, and the next minute, he never was truly serious. Or one minute
he's the consumate diplomat who would never "stoop low" by answering
"certain people," but then the next, he's tough enough to take on any
adversary physically if needs be. Talk about disappearing acts! With this
type of phony routine, I can see Mr. Ambassador getting a doggie biscuit (a
cabinet spot) from Big Massa. In Jammehesque, Essa Bokarr Sey truly does the
job with flying colors! But like they say "every dog has its day!" Y'all
keep up the vigilance. I'm following the exchanges, and I'll join you as
soon as I can find the time.

Hamjatta: I've had an interesting conversation with my Koto Halifa Sallah.
Mr. Sallah being the sharp guy he is, recognized me as soon as he saw me. He
explained the logic behind some of the positions he's taken in the past six
years vis-a-vis Yaya Jammeh. Considering the human factor, some of the
things he said are understandable, and so I feel a little guilty about going
after him so aggressively. I still believe he has been too soft on Yaya, and
I told him so repeatedly. He hasn't admitted any mistakes, but I have the
sense that given another chance, he'll do some things differently. Also,
it's obvious to me that the gloves are coming out now. The Halifa we all
fell in love with is back in the arena. I'm glad I took time out to see and
engage him this past weekend. The gentleman still has some very good ideas
regarding our nation. I'm too tired to write a coherent report on what
transpired at the Question and Answer Session. I believe Latjor will do
that.
Good night!

Saul.