GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 06:36:03 EDT
In a message dated 15/04/00 09:17:01 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<  The student could have simply applied for a permit, and
 they would have been given the permit. >>

Tombong,
    How very convenient of you to utter and peddle these self serving
sanctimonious sermons on how your slaying of school kids could have been
avoided in the first place with hindsight knowing very well that it is the
inalienable rights of these youngsters to display their disgust with your
government and whilst focus is now being centred on why in the first place
these kids were never allowed to demonstrate peacefully with a permit? When
was the first time your government ever granted permit to any Civic
organisation to hold a peaceful demonstration? Could you please stop the
sententiousness and simplistic broadbrushing of the 10th. April slaying of
school kids by your security forces and start stating facts as they happened?
     Your government is on the record as having the worst record of
accommodating dissent in the Sub Saharan Region. It is claptrap to hint that
these kids would have received their permits to hold their demo had they
applied for one. Infact the kids did explore all legal avenues that existed
within the ambits of the law to express their disgust with your government's
will'o' wisp attitude towards social justice. They have seen the Koro case;
the uncountable cases of people still crying for social justice whilst you
and your venerable president live in unimaginable luxury whilst the rest of
the country rots! Tombong the People are no fools and they can't take it no
more.
    As I said to Essa Bokar Sey earlier this week, with respect to your ilk,
we will be preaching to the deaf about Jammeh's thuggery, criminality and
indecent handling of our State of affairs. The Gambia is fast sliding towards
the abyss. This is the unspinnable story. Gambians I spoke to all over the UK
are unanimous in their verdict that no blame should be shelved to unarmed
innocent school kids whose only crime is to show their disgust with your
government. And that it is the State security apparatus and by extension
those who gave the orders to shoot at the unarmed school kids who are
responsible for this blood letting orgy that ensued. As you come online with
your endless spins and massaging of the truth, just remember that posterity
will not look favourably on these events and those associated with it
especially those whose job it is now to disinform the general public.
    As Bishop Butler once put it, things and events are what they are: why
then do we seek to be deceived. Tombong why do you seek to be deceived and in
reciprocation seek to deceive others about the events 10th. April, 2000? Just
remember that not all Gambians are the pollycock that your master Yaya Jammeh
is. Just keep posting those half-truths online, I will not relent in
shredding them into pieces and dump them into the dustbin of dialogue where
they duly deserve to be.
Till then be my guest and make my day with your spins and endless massaging
of the truth! Continue with this shameful charade of yours and watch me!
Hamjatta Kanteh

hkanteh