GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:19:33 +0200
Mr. Ebrima Ceesay wrote:

"...To understand the political situation in The Gambia (and West Africa)
and
why our people "support" incumbents even when they are certain that their
leaders are corrupt and brutal, it seems to me that we need to be
researching the matters of patrimonialism and politics of the personality,
and how these impact on ordinary citizens' perceptions and expectations of
government."

Ebrima, you are quite right. I am myself a little aware of this phenomenon
some writers call neo-patrimonialism and it would be very exciting to
discuss it to further our understanding of why even liberal capitalism
failed in much of Africa.
Unfortunately, I work with computers and I have not only become very rusty
in politics but I find it increasingly difficult to keep abreast of much
inspiring theory. All the more reason why I will keenly anticipate your
contribution on this phenomenon, i.e as soon as you clear your desk. (Let me
just mention in passing that for the same reason, I find the writings of
Hamjatta, Hamadi, Kebba, Yus, Jabou, Buharry, and many others very
positively provocative and inspiring).

Otherwise, I really sympathise with you for the cold. That the rainmaker in
B'ham is working overtime is certainly not helping you. But I hope you get
well soon, and as we used to say in this space,

Keep Up The Good Work Down There.

Momodou S Sidibeh