GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:23:37 EST
Something that has been in the news the past couple of days, and l wanted to
pass it along.

A new survey done by The Institute of Health has found that between 40,000
and 90,000 people die annually due to errors made by hospitals and Health
care personnel.The most frequent of these errors are:

1) Inability  of Pharmacists/hospitals,  to read doctors' handwritings on
prescriptions, thereby resulting the either the wrong drug or the wrong
dosage being issued to patients.

2) Inability to distinguish between two similar name priscription drugs.

They recommended that people invest in a Physician's Desk Reference (PDR)
which is a large volume book that lists all priscription drugs, the
conditions they treat, and possible side effects. Make sure you check your
prescriptions, and if in doubt, ask questions before you take them.l always
drive my doctor crazy with questions on anything he prescribes for me or my
kids, but it is better than being sorry later. Please be careful.

Jabou