GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mr Makaveli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 23:23:49 -0500
Comrade MLJ Conteh,
  You're a man of noble deeds with a very big heart. I like you. But
before I forget let me say that Sister Jabou Joh was right on the money. I
like her too. She is a phenomenal woman with a very independent mind and
very astute observer in her own right. So here you have two very bright
gambians whose wealth of knowledge combined simply cannot be measured in
any criterion. Yet with all the great debates we've had here on the Gambia-
L and elsewhere, I do not recall any of our opposition parties endorsing
some of the best ideas that you and many other concerned gambians provided
for them time and time again. This brings me to the question of the hour:
Are the opposition parties truely committed to our pledges? I would hate to
label our leaders Machiavellian but it is becoming more and more clear-cut
that for them, only the end justifies the means. Is their political
aspirations more important than the livelihood of our people. We should
not ostracize our leaders but we must challenge their commitment and
sincerity and address any inconsistencies and foulplays. They must go under
intense scrutiny just so we don't repeat the same horrendous mistakes. We
must not allow any party to use the tactics of confusion and mis-
representation to advance their concept of the ideal state.

Comrade MLJ Conteh wrote and I quote:

>>   "Your concerns are well taken, but I must admit we have to reach a
>>    consensus in how we are going to distribute the funds."

Frankly, this statement only indicates to me that we are acting out of
desperation. I think all the modalities should have been in place which
means we should have thought of how the money will be distributed PRIOR
to seeking donations. Contributors are more inclined to be generous knowing
where their money is going and whether it will make a diference.

Comrade MLJ Conteh wrote and I quote:

>>   "My position is that we should try and seek
>>    unity and urge the opposition parties to unite."

This statement indicates to me that as far as you can tell, the opposition
parties decision to endorse our pledge for unity is not affirmative and in
other words hanging in thin air. Frankly this is a no-brainer but if they
are busy debating whose faith is more important( that is their political
aspirations versus our freedom), we will never get anywhere. And your own
arguments below further substantiate my viewpoint. Here is what you wrote:

>> "No single opposition party in The Gambia can unilaterally claim to have
>>  a soul right to our struggle. If we fail to unite, we are doom to fail
>>  come October."

Comrade,let's just cross our fingers and hope things turn out for the best.
I'm an optimist and I will therefore send in my contribution to brother
Sambou. You can count on it. But should there be a boycott in the coming
elections, I would only hope that my contribution be refunded back to me.
Optimists are capitalists too. Just kidding (o-:)lol! Enjoy the rest of the
weekend. It's been a pleasure having such a constructive correspondence.

                                                          Respectfully,
                                                          Mr. G. Sarr

Comrades: