GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Isatou B. Jallow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 11:28:55 +0100
Hello Brother Habib,

Thank you for the extra information. It's amazing how much one learns
everyday. Recently I met a woman from Pakistand during a seminar ( she's the
minsiter of health and other posts). She's a lawyer by profession and has
written a book about what Islam and the Sharia says when it comes to women. It
was the most enlightened Islamic seminar I have ever attended. She talked
about women rights when it comes to inheritance and marraige in Islam. It
confirms what I have always believed, that we also use culture/tradition lots
and call it Islam/Sharia. Men also use it to controll us, women.

"This particular trial is shameful and the punishment must be stopped . Let
the sister go free now."

Couldn't agree with you more.

Brother Habiab, there's something I want to ask you about whiles we are on
this kind of discussion: About two weeks ago, a Kurdish-Swedish girl was
killed by her own father becuase she chose to be together with a Swedish man.
She had long been threatened by the family. She had been very strong about it
and brave enough to talk about it in the media. It's really sad that she had
to die like this. The norwegian media has taken this to mean that it's a
muslim thing. It's so frustrating to read and hear about it all the time. My
colleagues and Norwegian friends keep asking me about it all the time. I have
told them that I am not an expert when it comes to Islam and Sharia but I
think this was more of a kurdish tradition. I don't think it has anything to
do with Islam. The father himself had said that he felt humuliated by the girl
and this was the only way to again respect again.

I know that a Muslim is not allowed to take the life of another person and
that forced marraiges are not allowed in Islam but what does Islam says about
this kind of killing? Can a father take the life of his daughter just to gain
respect in his society? If not do you have any idea where this kind of
culture/tradition originates from?

Isatou