GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 20:55:25 EDT
I am positive that Momodou Sidibeh, my good brother from Kartong is an asset
to any organization he is part of, so welcome to the G-L management team.

I also wanted to remind everyone that it is good that we are voicing our
opinions about the management team because this is what democracy is all
about, but while we are doing that, let me point out something simple, yet
profound. If we debate with dignity and respect, and agree or disagree along
the same lines, we will never lend ourselves to the necessity for  anyone to
step in and rebuke us.

Another important thing that we must remember no matter how hot under the
collar we get, or how much we disagree with the management team. These ladies
and gentlemen are volunteering their time to facilitate the ability for us to
be a community, to have exchanges with each other as if we lived next door to
each other, although we live  far apart. That is something I always find
heartwarming about G-L., that the sons and daughters of Gambia are able to
find each other and link up to be a community from all over the World.

Therefore, let us try to be appreciative of those who give of themselves so
all of us can benefit, because that is something we Gambians do not do
enough. The people who manage the list also have families, Jobs and other
personal obligations in these hectic environments that most of us are living
in, and the time they take to serve is valauble time the ycoild have spent
doing other things.

When we complain, let us also try to balance it with appreciation. This is
the responsibility of thinking people everywhere, appreciation of what others
do for us without expecting anything in return.

Another good brother of mine from Kartong, Modou Mbye Jabang used to remind
us of something often when he was a regular subscriber to this list. He
always reminded us that the Phophet Muhammed (SAS) used to say that "whoever
is not grateful to the people is not grateful to Allah"

Momodou Camara has served longest on the management team, and rather than
this being an endictment, I see it as him having given of himself the
longest, with patience and dilligence, and this should be appreciated, as we
appreciate all of the other members of the team.
People, let us learn to pat each other on the back. It will ecourage a more
giving society, and that can only translate to better things for all of us.

To the list management, thank you for your work quietly behind the scenes, to
make it easy for all of us to continue to enjoy this "Bantaba", to enjoy each
other's company as if we were chatting over the fence with our neighbours,
Gambian style.

Jabou Joh