GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:37:30 EDT
HI:
There are many conflicting reports of the effects of marijuana on individuals.  The one that Alasana Bah posted is just one of a host of studies.  Based on the studies that have been done up to this point, no definite conclusion has been reached as to whether this causes cancer or not.  I recall reading one report where researchers cliamed that because of the absence of fat cells, mice that were exposed to THC were IN FACT unable to develop cancer because they were too slim. Even studies carried out by the UN health agency were able to reach any conclusion that this supposed bad drug is harmful(ie cancer causing). Furthermore, I read another study that showed that rastas who lived the natural life in the hills of Jamaica lived longer than the average Jamaican.

Finally, it's medical benefits are quite remarkable when one considers that it helps with Glaucoma, AIDs all sorts of cancer and a host of terrible diseases.
I do agree that it does cloud judgement, albeit slightly.  Alcohol definitely clouds one's judgement more.

As far as I am concerned, the plant grows naturally for a purpose, be it medicinal or otherwise.  For this reason, I will neither condemn it nor promote it.

My two cents.