GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:37:54 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:47:58 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] Fw: [women-csd] Sustainable Development news

FYI

Subject: [women-csd] Sustainable Development news

> 2. Report from Women's Peace Train
> 4. Action Alert Against Incinerator in South Africa
>
> Press Release                        Press Release
Press Release

> The Women's Peace Train from Kampala to Johannesburg for the World Summit
for Sustainable Development (WSSD), 16 August - 26August, 2002

> A month this week the  locomotive engines of the Women's Peace Train
rolled out of Kampala in the historic journey to World Summit for
Sustainable Development (WSSD) in Johannesburg. The Ten day Journey saw the
Peace Train travel from Kampala Uganda through Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia,
Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa, departing Kampala on 16 August, 2002 at
10.00 Am and arriving in Johannesburg on 26 August at 7.15 Am . The Peace
Train carried a symbol for peace in the form of a Peace Torch which women
exchanged from country to country along the train route. The peace torch,
kindly donated by UNIFEM, was handed over to the Uganda women by Rwanda
women on behalf of the Great Lakes Region, in a colourful ceremony held in
Kampala's Freedom Square on 15 August 2002 and attended by five Ministers
among others, in which the Deputy Speaker of the Uganda Parliament Hon.
Minister Rebecca Kadaga read H. E. President Museveni's Speech. The Women's
Peace Train was successfully coordinated by the African Center for
Empowerment Gender and Advocacy, a pioneer NGO in Africa involved in
advocating for key global issues at national, regional and international
level.

> The Women's Peace Train was an overwhelming success. Right from the
flagging off from the Uganda railway platform in  Kampala by Minister Hon.
Zoe Bakoko Bakoru on Behalf of H.E. President Yoweri Museveni (Due to unrest
in northern Uganda town of Gulu, The President had to travel to attend
urgent Peace matters), the Peace Train generated so much following that the
Center was forced to double  the number of official stopovers from the
original 9 to 18 in order to accommodate the high demand in various transit
cities. In all the 18 whistle stops, the train was greated with music and
dance in lively ceremonies in which the Peace Torch would be light, speeches
delivered around peace and sustainable development and contribution to  the
WSSD delivered to the torch bearers.  Whether we are talking of the Train
passing through the town during the day such as Jinja, Nairobi, Taveta, Dar,
Kapiri Mposhi, Bulawayo, Mafeking and Johannessburg or at night such as
Lusaka, Livingstone, Victoria Falls, Fransistown and Gaborone, people
eagerly waited for Peace Train, participated in the train programme and
showered the passangers with  gifts which included drinking water, manila
and straw hats, balloons, local crafts, T-shits, Kitenges etc, all depicting
the Peace Train theme. This is a demonstration of the continents commitment
to lasting peace and an end to war and conflict in this continent.

> Greeted by the First Ladies, Government Ministers, Permanent Secretaries,
High Commissioners, Mayors,  NGOs, Public Administration, Rail authorities,
entertainment groups, women groups, ordinary men, women, the youth and
children passangers in the train received encouragement and moral support.
Just to sum up the list of dignatories, we had 2 First Ladies, 10 Ministers,
2 Permanent secretaries, 6 Mayors, 2 Ambassadors, over 100 government
officials, top rail authorities, over 70 NGOs, women groups and umbrella
organizations and over 10,000 people participating in the Peace Train
ceremonies. Special mention goes to the two First Ladies particularly for
giving up their comfort to meet the train in the night. Her Excellency Mrs
Barbara Mogae the First Lady of the Republic of Botswana drove 500 Kms from
Gabar one to the border town of Fransistown to receive the Peace Train and
Torch in the evening. Thereafter she  traveled in the Peace Train from
Fransistown to the Capital City of Gaborone where  she handed over the Peace
Train to the Minister for Health at 2.30am. The First Lady of the Republic
of South Africa H. E. Mrs Zanele Mbeki had to wake up at 4.00 Am to travel
to Johannesburg to receive the Peace Train at 5.00 Am but due to the train
delay, had to wait at the train station until 7.15 in the morning when it
finally arrived. It was a big sacrifice for Mrs Mbeki to spare 6 hours for
the train on a day when the official opening for the WSSD conference  was
taking place. Mrs Mbeki was with us until 9.30 Am when she left the Train
station for the official opening. Between the 2 First Ladies, some 16 hours
were devoted to the peace train for which we were very grateful not to
mention the other benefits that accompany such guests.

> All these achievements would not have been possible without particular
actors who worked closely with the Center through out the preparatory and
implementation process. These are first and fore most our counterpart in
South Africa, Ilitha la Bantu without who the SADCC coordination would not
have been the success it was. Being the official hosts for the Women's
Action Tent it would not have been possible to factor in the Peace Train
Agenda into the WSSD without them. The Focal Points altogether helped
mobilize over 10,000 people for the Train and deserve a special thank you.
These are Uganda (National Association of Women Organisation in Uganda -
NAWOU and the Ministry of Gender and Community Development), Tanzania (
Tanzania Non Governmental Organisation - TANGO  and the Ministry of
Community Development, Women and Children), Zambia (Zambian Non Governmental
Organisation Coordination council - NGOCC and Ministry of Foreign Affairs ),
Zimbabwe (Ministry Gender, Community Development and Foreign Affairs) and in
Botwsana (Women's Affairs Department). In Kenya the Center the Center worked
with Maendeleo Ya Wanawake Organization, National Council of the Women of
Kenya, Kenya Women's Political Caucus and the Office of the Vice President
and Ministry of Heritage, Culture and Social Services through the Women's
Bureau

> Three Working Committees were set up to assist the Center. They worked
actively from Nairobi and met weekly for a period of 6 weeks to ensure that
all the preparatory work for the peace train were well done. Inline with the
train time table they assisted border ceremonies through contacting local
administration ensuring conformity with the master roll out plan. The first
committee, Chaired by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kenya consisted of
High Commissions of governments accredited to Kenya in whose territory the
train was to cross namely Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and
South Africa. They worked tirelessly in getting their capitals informed,
assisting with immigrations details, liaising with rail authorities and
connecting us to top government officials.  The second committee was of rail
authorities and occasionally attended by representatives from Uganda and
Tanzania Railways. It was chaired by Kenya Railways and sychronised the time
tables, gave technical advise on rail lines, provided guidelines on travel
expectations, requirements and journey duration. The third working committee
was the Kenya NGO committee Chaired by the Center and co-convened by
Maendeleo which oversaw the Kenyan preparatory ceremonies, Fundraising,
media coverage and mobilization process for escorting the Peace Train and
Torch from Nairobi/Malaba /Nairobi/Taveta /Nairobi.

> This Women Peace Train from Kampala to Johannesburg would not have been
the success it was without the support from many Governments, United Nations
Agencies, NGOs,  railway authorities, partners and friends of the Center who
contributed financially, technically and otherwise. Special thanks go to
United Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Human Settlement
Programme (UN-Habitat), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), United
Nations Fund for Women (UNIFEM). The Ford Foundation (who supported the
youth component), Global Fund for Women the WSSD Civil Society Secretariat
and the Women's International League for Peace and freedom (WILPF) for their
financial and technical support. The media played a key role in covering
almost all the ceremonies on TV, radio, print and electronic media and gave
the Peace Train great prominence through out its journey for which we are
very grateful. Indeed, some of  accompanied the Train and helped us
dissimenate the peace message nationally, regionally and  globally.

> The Women's Environment and Development Organization deserves special
thanks for their financial and technical backstopping of the entire Peace
Train process and for giving the Peace Train prominence in the Women's
Action Tent programme. At the WSSD WEDO and Iltiha la Bantu ensured that the
Peace Torch flames continued to burn away which was a constant reminder of
the sacrifice African women had made to call for lasting peace in women
lives for women world over. The Women's Peace Train dream was born out of
the WSSD Women's Caucus of which WEDO was the Major groups convenor. May be
if it was not for WEDO sharing the space in the WSSD process with all women
of the world we would never have started. WEDO's encouragement, moral
support, faith in the Center and technical safety nets contributed
significantly to the big dream. This train taught all of us a lot of
lessons. Although at the beginning it sounded like a dream, on the chilly
morning of August 26 in Johannesburg, it was no longer one.  In the worlds
of H.E. Mrs Mbeki, if the Peace Train which was conceived, masterminded and
delivered by African women could travel from Kampala to Johannesburg, then
the dream of lasting peace in Africa could also be converted from a dream to
reality. She went on to say that if African women could enjoy their rightful
place in society they could  conceive, mastermind and deliver the dream of a
peaceful and prosperous Africa.

> On behalf of the African Center for Empowerment Gender and Advocacy what
can we say to all of you for such a good job! Congratulations and Asante
Sana, and please look out for the Kampala to Johannesburg film to be
launched soon on this historical journey.

> Contact Person
>
> Litha Musyimi-Ogana, Regional Director
> The African Center for Empowerment Gender and  Advocacy (AC-EGA)
> UN Avenue, Opposite Untied Nations, Gigiri
> P.O. Box 60375,Nairobi, Kenya, Telephone: 254 - 2 - 520247
> Fax No. 254 - 2- 710305 / Cell: 0733 - 840603
> Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>

>> 4. Action Alert Against Incinerator in South Africa
>
> ACTION ALERT
> FOR CLEAN AIR AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE IN
> SOUTH DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA
>
> Greetings from the international secretariat of the Global Alliance for
Incinerator Alternatives/Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance (GAIA) based in
the Philippines.

> We write to seek your kind endorsement of an international NGO letter that
will be sent to the South African authorities, asking them to scrap a
proposed incinerator in Merebank, South Durban and respect the right of the
people to a healthy environment as enshrined in the South African
Constitution.  This Action Alert is in solidarity with the South Durban
Community Environmental Alliance (SDCEA) and other NGOs striving against
POPs and environmental injustice in South Africa.   We are urging concerned
public interest groups to endorse the said letter. As of today, 87 groups
from 32 countries have endorsed the letter.

> Please e-mail GAIA at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>   by 10 October 2002 at the latest to
signify your endorsement.  We will need the complete name of your group and
that of your representative and her/his e-mail contact.

> Kind find below a brief background information about the incinerator
project and the community opposition.

> We thank you in advance for your support and solidarity.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Manny C. Calonzo
> GAIA Secretariat
> Unit 320, Eagle Court Condominium, 26 Matalino St., Quezon City 1101,
Philippines
> Phone: +632-9290376, Fax: +632-4364733
> Website: www.no-burn.org <http://www.no-burn.org/>
>
> Case Background
>
> On 11 September 2002, the Department of Agriculture and Environmental
Affairs (DAE) of KwaZulu-Natal issued a decision authorizing the
construction of a multifuel Fluidised Bed Combustor (FBC) by Biotrace
Trading Pty.Ltd. for the production of steam and power at the Mondi Plant in
Merebank, South Durban. The approval was given without requiring a full
Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The Department has also agreed to
allow the incinerator to be powered by coal.  Concerned citizens/groups were
given until 11 October 2002 to appeal against the authorization or
condition/s of authorization at the office of the MEC for Agriculture and
Environmental Affairs.

> By resolution of the Annual General Meeting of the South Durban Community
Environmental Alliance (SDCEA) on 28 September 2002, the poor communities of
South Durban condemned the proposed Mondi incinerator and call on Mondi to
scrap all plans to build this hazardous installation. The alliance opposes
the incinerator which will release POPs into the environment and exacerbate
the industry-caused health problems of the surrounding communities.  Formed
in 1997, the SDCEA is a multiracial alliance of community-based groups
fighting for environmental quality and corporate responsibility in
environmental care.

> "In South Durban, members of the local community have consistently
complained of high levels of cancer and respiratory illnesses.  Studies
undertaken within the community concluded that respiratory illnesses were
clearly elevated when compared to areas outside of South Durban...   In
2000, a local journalist wrote a series of articles on the impact of
pollution in South Durban, focusing particularly on the incidence of cancer.
He asked a medical researcher to review his investigation and the latter
concluded that it suggested a leukaemia rate 24 times the national
average... The Universities of Natal and Michigan and the Natal Technikon
conducted a health study at the Settlers Primary School situated between the
two Durban refineries.  The study found that 53.5% of student suffered from
some type of asthma, a prevalence higher than any comparable findings
reported in the scientific literature.  It also found strong evidence that
ambient air pollution exposures were associated with acute changes in the
health status of pupils with moderate to severe asthma. It concluded that
current guidelines may not be adequate to protect the health of susceptible
portions of population.  Government is still to react to the findings."
(Excerpts from "Ground-Zero in the Carbon Economy: People on the
Petrochemical Fence-Line," published by groundWork, August 2002)

> For more information, please contact Anna Weekes of SDCEA at
>
> Letter to Mr. Valli Moosa, Minister of Environment and Mr. Narend Singh,
MEC for Agriculture and Environment Affairs, South Africa

> Dear Sirs,
>
> We, _  public interest groups from six continents, join the South Durban
communities in asking your government to rescind the authorization given to
Mondi Paper to put up a fluidized bed combustor at its plant in Merebank.
The authorization issued by the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Agriculture and
Environmental Affairs (DAE)  on 11 September 2002 came as a kick in the
teeth, occurring barely days after South Africa ratified the Stockholm
Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), a global treaty that
seeks to minimize and ultimately eradicate an initial list of 12 most
dangerous chemicals on the planet, including dioxins and furans which are
unintentional by-products of the incineration process.

> While welcoming South Africa's ratification of the Convention, as endorsed
by both Houses of the Parliament, the National Assembly and the National
Council of Provinces, we cannot help but feel confused and outraged by DAE"s
decision authorizing Mondi's incinerator application, particularly as it was
not informed by a full environmental impact assessment (EIA).  In a
statement made on 2 September 2002, the Ministry of Environmental Affairs
and Tourism proclaimed that "this ratification speaks to South Africa's
political commitment to further enhancing the effectiveness of environmental
legislation... (the) participation of South Africa...  is aimed at
strengthening global environmental governance, with the sole purpose of
protecting human health and the environment."

> In ratifying the Convention, South Africa is required to take measures to
reduce or avoid existing and new sources of POPs.  The planned construction
of incinerator in Merebank, an additional source of unintentional POPs, is
against the spirit and intent of the Convention and cannot be justified no
matter how much power and profit is generated from the plant for Mondi
Paper.  Further, the Convention requires Parties to "promote the development
and, where it deems appropriate, require the use of substitute or modified
materials, products and processes to prevent the formation and release of
[unintentional POPs]."

> The Convention has critically implicated waste incineration as part of the
global POPs crisis, specifically identifying waste incinerators as primary
sources of dioxins, the most powerful carcinogens (cancer-causing agents)
and most notorious pollutants associated with incinerators. According to the
United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP), incinerators create 69% of
dioxins in the global environment.  Exposure to even miniscule amounts of
dioxins can lead to harmful health effects.  For South Durban communities
who have long been exposed to elevated levels of chemical and industrial
pollutants resulting to high incidents of cancers and respiratory illnesses,
the Mondi incinerator project is but another lethal threat to their health
and future.

> In 1998, the Durban Metro supported by the International Finance
Corporation (IFC), proposed a refuse-derived fuel (RDF) incinerator for
Mondi.  Civil society representatives from SDCEA and Essential Action, met
the IFC, and called for them to reconsider their proposal.  The project was
scrapped.  It is sad to see it being re-invented under the guise of a boiler
developed by Biotrace, a US company.  We reject this brazen dumping of
incinerators in the south by US companies, particularly in South Africa
where there are five such proposals.

> In developing countries like South Africa, incineration technology is even
more problematic due to the apparent lack of capacity to monitor stack
emissions or ash toxicity, lack of technical ability to test releases, lack
of enforcement of operational parameters and lack of secure landfills for
the ash.  In its recent report "Bankrolling Polluting Technology: The World
Bank Group and Incineration," the Global Alliance for Incinerator
Alternatives/Global Anti-Incinerator Alliance (GAIA) pointed out that "even
in Northern countries, it is routine for incinerator operators to evade
emissions and ash monitoring."

> In the interest of environmental justice, we call upon the Government of
South Africa to heed the demands of the South Durban Community Environmental
Alliance (SDCEA) to which we concur.  Specifically, we join the South Durban
communities in asking the Government to:

> Hear the community call from the public meeting on 30 September 2002,
which called for a scrapping of the Mondi incinerator project, at which a
DAE  representative, Dr. Fashuen was present.

> Stop the construction of new incinerators and phase out all existing ones
and replaced them with sustainable approaches to discards management that
put emphasis on waste prevention, separation at source, recycling, reuse,
composting.

> Comply with the Stockholm Convention by putting in place an action plan,
with time frame, to reduce and eliminate POPs, without incineration.

> We are united with the communities of South Durban and the whole of South
Africa in asking your Government to uphold and protect the people's right to
a healthy environment as enshrined in Section 24 of the Constitution of the
Republic of South Africa:  "Everyone has the right to an environment that is
not harmful to their health or well-being; and to have the environment
protected, for the benefit of present and future generations, through
reasonable legislative and other measures that prevent pollution and
ecological degradation..."

> We thank you for your affirmative action.
>
> SIGNED BY:
>
> Name of Representative
> Name of Organization
> Country
> E-Mail Address

> Manny C. Calonzo
> GAIA Secretariat
> Unit 320, Eagle Court Condominium
> 26 Matalino St., Barangay Central
> Quezon City, PHILIPPINES
> Tel. + 632 9290376
> Tel/Fax: +632 4364733

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus, a global group of
women and men working on gender & sustainable development issues. It has
been established to circulate information in preparation for  the UN
Commission on Sustainable Development Sessions and Earth Summit 2002
(officially the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South
Africa, Sept. 2002).
> To learn more about the CSD Women's Caucus activities, check the web-site
at www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm.

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, October 30, 2002. Location: Douglas-Truth Library, 2300 Yesler, Seattle
7:00 pm Business meeting
7:30 pm Program: The Complexity od Addressing HIV/AIDS with in the Masaai Culture, by Jayne Lewis. (Everyone is welcome).

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network