GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:55:18 +0000
Yus, thanks for your input and I agree the deck is stark against Gambia and
the so called "third World" countries.  However, your this statement: "My
opinion is that as it concerns trade, we have little or no chance of
competing here", is the same thing that African countries have been saying
since their independance.  Forty years later we are still saying the same
thing.  The issue here as I see it is whether we are prepared to delay
gratification.  I used Singapore who were on the same footing as Gambia, and
in fact President Jawara used to mentioned them as what we can become
(atleast he recognized that much), because of our similarities in most
respects.  In fact they were worst off than us in terms of resources and
were surrounded by much bigger and hostile nations at the time, such as
Malaysia, etc.  They knew it was going to be painful but they also knew that
handouts is not their ticket out of their poverty.  Thus, they delayed
gratification.  So, I say, our dependancy on assistance is nothing but a
poor excuse to avoid the pain we need to go through to be successful.  On a
micro level, we all grew up seeing our brothers from Guinea Conakry for
example.  They come to The Gambia and are given a small "table lee Pohatane"
and they hit the streets.  Before you know it most in the neighborhood are
debtors to him and thus, he becomes the big store owner in the neighborhood.
  There is no easy road to success and at the rate we are going, another
forty years will pass and we would find our selves running on the same spot.
  It's our call.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou