GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Embassy of Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:42:10 -0400
Please contact the Gambia High Commission in London:

57 Kensington Court, London W8 5DH
Tel: (171) 937 6316/7/8, Fax: (171) 937 9095.

Sincerely,

----------
From: Michael Carrick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: UK students visiting Banjul to make for a primary school.
Date: Wednesday, June 02, 1999 8:18 AM

2/6/99
A secondary school in Malvern, England, makes visits to one of two schools
in The Gambia about every two years, and in return for the hospitality,
they try to provide some help where they are able.  They hope to go to a
Banjul primary school in the year 2001.  They would like to consider making
some desks for the pupils while they are there.  The craft teacher here in
the UK would produce a simple design, so that they could make them while
they were on the visit.

Please can you help by telling me ([log in to unmask]) whether you
think this is feasible, and telling me what materials would be best.  They
were thinking of building in wood.  So what is the way in which wood is
usually sold - what size and thickness of planks?   It would be useful also
to know the price.  Remember they need to find an easy way to do things -
they are not experienced craftsmen and women, and they will take with them
only a few simple tools!  Wood of the correct thickness might be easier
than very thick planks, which they would first have to saw down.

They might also need screws, nails, bolts, paint.  What is the best place
to buy these things, and the best place to buy the wood?

If you think that termites will soon eat wooden desks, then please say it
is essential that the desks be made of metal, but I hope the termites are
not usually as bad as that.  If you disapprove of the whole idea then
please say so!

Thank you very much for your help.  The school here will be much appreciate
it.

            Mike Carrick  (near Birmingham, England)