GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:35:36 -0500
From http://www.observer.gm

News
NEW AG APPOINTED
By Sheriff Bojang
Nov 18, 2003, 15:28

Thirty-five year old Sheikh Tijan Hydara was appointed the new Attorney
General and Secretary of State for Justice with effect from last evening.

Hydara, it came as a surprise
Until his recent appointment, Mr Hydara was acting registrar of companies
and principal legal draftsman at the Attorney General’s Chambers.
He succeeded Joseph Joof, who resigned his position on September 22 in the
wake of rumours of his imminent sacking. Since then, the position has been
vacant.
Mr Hydara is the eighth holder of the office in as many years. His
predecessors were Joseph Henry Joof, Pap Cheyassin Secka, Hawa Sisay-
Sabally, Fatou Bom Bensouda, Musa Bittaye, Mustapha Marong and Fafa Edrissa
M’Bai.
Mr Hydara, the third son of the venerable sheriff of Brufut, Kebba Hydara,
is the youngest holder of the office.
Speaking to Daily Observer last night following the announcement of his
appointment, Sheikh Tijan said: “I feel honoured. It is a responsibility
that I intend to carry out to the best of my ability. I never expected it
although it was being speculated about.”
While Mr Hydara may not have actively lobbied for the position, a certain
senior state counsel of high academic repute in the Attorney General’s
Chambers, made no secret of his fervent desire to become the next AG. In
fact, this paper learnt that the learned gentleman even wrote a letter
applying for the position and went to the extent of writing a press release
for his imminent appointment.
During the weeks intervening Joseph Joof’s resignation and Sheikh Tijan
Hydara’s appointment, the names of several barristers and judges were being
floated around as possible fillers of the position.
Mr Hydara is a holder of an LL B, B L, and LL M degrees.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company