GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:30:30 -0000
The President of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh, says he plans to introduce Islamic
Sharia law to the west African country from next year.
Speaking to Muslim leaders to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan, he
said religious freedom would be respected, but did not give any further
details about his plans.

"I have been tolerant enough in the past, but my government is preparing to
introduce Islamic law next year," Mr Jammeh said.

President Jammeh seized power in a military coup in 1994

Mr Jammeh, who has been in power since 1994, was born into a Roman Catholic
family but converted to Islam in the mid-1980s.

Gambia, which has a population of just over one million, is predominantly
Muslim. It has a secular constitution which was approved by referendum in
1995 and came into effect two years later.

Warning

Mr Jammeh warned that he would act forcefully against those who threatened
stability under the guise of religion.

"I warn all those who might be tempted to endanger the safety of our society
for religious or political reasons that I intend to treat them as
criminals," the French news agency AFP quoted him as saying.

Youths thought to be religious extremists went on a rampage in the suburbs
of the capital Banjul on 30 October, smashing up bars and inns. About 20 of
them were arrested.

Mr Jammeh seized power in Gambia with fellow junior officers in 1994. He
faces a presidential election in October 2001, and won a 1996 election.

A string of states in northern Nigeria have introduced Sharia law.