GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:47:02 +0000
There is no contradiction in the verses regarding polygamy

QUESTION: Concerning polygamy, it is stated in Quraan:

{If  you fear that you will not be able to deal justly[with more than one
wife], then marry only one}, [Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 3]

However, in another place, it states:

{You will never be able to do perfect justice between your wives even it is
your ardent desire}[Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 129]

In the first verse, the condition of being just among the wives is stated
while in the second it makes it clear that the condition of justice could
never be met. Does this mean that the first verse is abrogated and that it
is not allowed to marry more than one woman since the condition of justice
cannot be fulfilled. Benefit us may Allah reward you.

RESPONSE:
There is no contradiction between the two verses. There is also no
abrogation by one verse of the other. The justice that is mentioned in the
first verse is the justice within one’s ability, which is related to being
fair in division of time and in maintenance. As for being just in respect to
love and sexual relations, this is not within one’s ability. This is what is
being referred to in the verse.

{You will never be able to do perfect justice between your wives even it is
your ardent desire}[Soorah an-Nisaa, Aayah 129]

In a Hadeeth about the Prophet (Sal Allaahu  ‘alayhe  wa sallam)  ‘Aa.ishah
stated:

The Messenger of Allah (Sal Allaahu  ‘alayhe  wa sallam)  used to divide his
time between his wives and he was fair. He used to say:

(( O Allah, that is my division with respect to what I have control over. Do
not blame me for what You  control and over which I have no control)) This
was recorded by Abu Daawood, at Tirmidhee, an Nasaa..ee, Ibn Maajah. It was
graded Saheeh by Ibn Hibbaan and al-Hakeem

Shaykh Ibn Baz
Fataawa al-Mar.ah

From www.Fatwa-online.com
http://www.fatwa-online.com/fataawa/marriage/polygamy/9991018_46.htm

I copied it from the source above hence all typos/error are mind. To read
the actual fatwa visit the source.

Regard,
MJohnson