GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dave Manneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:41:14 +0100
Mr Nyang,
    Could you please be kind enough to produce an iota of evidence to that effect. How can our right to a
dwelling be tribalistic. I think you are a very dishonest fellow, if am to be frank with you. How can you
ignore wholeheartedly the genuine heart wrenching plea of poor helpless people, and rubbish it as tribalistic.
Below is the email I had ready for you earlier, I  didn't sent it for I thought others have responded
eloquently to your nonsense earlier.

Please read it carefully.
Take a breather my uncle, and read my commentary at the top of the forwarded article. No need to get all wound
up!
I do not know about the examples of developments in Ghana or Senegal, for I have never been to any of those
countries. I do not know who Taf Njie is or what tribe he is from, for last names are not the most definitive
way of defining ones tribe in The Gambia.

You asked how may years has the land been left un-utilised, this is a genuine question and I shall break the
answer down for you and in the event show the futility of that question.

Point one: Manneh Kunda is the the biggest family/clan in Brufut. Now let's do some simple mathematics; big
clan => big families => less space for houses (expansion), Result young men move out and build houses for their
young families on clan land. (This has always been the tradition).

Point Two: These folks are not complaining that they need the land for sustainable farming, but most
importantly due to the fast and explosive growth Brufut is experiencing, the land has already been divided
amongst the young men of the clan.
The clan gives/used to give out plots of land to people for free (all they needed to bring  was kola nuts.
There are countless people in Brufut who have their homes/compounds through this traditional way). This is
definitely not the case here, instead one man wants to enrich himself even more.

Point Three: Less than 0.1% of these affected young men can afford to buy the houses Taf is building. So the
the question now begs, does Taf's entrepreneurship override their need for housing their young families?

Point Four: Since when do clans have to pay  rates for lands belonging to them (Actually these lands have
belonged to this clan for over 10 generations. Maybe you are right that rates have to be paid, but please show
me. And if that is the case all efforts shall be made to make sure that it is paid (even the overdue ones). Am
confident that I can speak for my cousins and uncles on and off this distro!!

Point Five: Why should Taf compensate people, who do not want to get rid of their land and who most
importantly, need the land more than he does?

Point Six: Where is this WOLLOF disease nonsense coming from? Where is that stated either in my commentary or
in the forwarded article.

If there is any objectivity needed it is needed most from your side. This illegal land seizure, affects me
personally but I think I am being objective here.

NB. In the UK, am seen as another Black person, not Wollof or Mandinka, so the tribal bias you are insinuating
should be withdrawn forthwith.

All the best
Manneh