GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:26:35 -0700
Mr. Ceesay,

I was just about to slip out of the office when I saw
your mail. I thought we had settled this id crisis,
but I guess not. Ignoring your wide net on the gang
thing, I'd like to caution you about assuming too
much. It's not true that "the Saidykhans are only in
Jarra." That's simply untrue. And just for your info,
the "saidy" in Saidykhan is a title. That's why you
have Saidy Jah, Saidy Kah, Saidy Leigh, Saidy Bah,
Saidy Wan, Saidy Sal, Saidy Ma, etc. The one common
link is our Fula heritage. Ever heard of a fellow
called Lamin Leigh who went to Nusrat, Saints, and
Cambridge/Oxford? The full name is Lamin Saidy Leigh,
though I bet you most Gambians don't know that. A
family can drop the "Saidy" if it pleases them.

But the Saidy Khans to be specific are found in
Niamina, Jarra, Sanjal, Kombo South, and Serrekunda.
This is my first-hand info. There may be other
families elsewhere. It helps to know a little family
geneology. So, talk about what you know if you must.
Good luck!

Saul.

--- Lamin Ceesay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<HR>
<P>Mr. Conteh,</P>
<P>I am not surprised that you have Karamba coming to
the rescue of the UDP. This list is not meant to say
things against the opposition. I remember when some
questions were raised just last week about them, it
was not taken well here. One has to love this.</P>
<P>It is not a matter of taking these things personal,
but we all know that the party begged out from the
Washington talks and able to come to the States for
weeks at the time of registrations. I saw that you
questioned this before and there was no answer for
you. I wish people like Karamba could have answered
that instead of jumping on you for raising very