GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:57:45 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> <<Like I said before, whilst, for now atleast, the PPP (their interim
> chairmanship of OJ have confirmed that the party will be
> ressurected) is
> talking of a united front against the APRC, the chances of that happening is
> getting slimmer by the day. Or am I halucinating? >>

Pa Modou,

Of course, you are hallucinating. You suppose that because politicians like
OJ talk of a resuscitated PPP only helps confirm that there is no way there
can be a coalition between, say, the PPP and the NCP. This supposition is
defeated by logic and circumstances: there is simply no way the PPP, NCP and
GPP can INDEPENDENTLY or INDEPENDENT of the current cadre of mainstream
Opposition contest the October presidential elections. The reasons for these
i will try to logically enumerate here as briefly as i can:

1. the logistical and organisational support needed to INDEPENDENTLY relaunch
these political parties in time for the October presidential elections, are
simply not in place or rather would simply not be in place in time for an
effective campaign.

2. As i understand it, bar Dibba, the leaders of GPP and PPP are
constitutionally ineligible to participate in these elections on age grounds.
I hasten to add that i totally condemn this age discrimination. I merely
state it for argumentative purposes. Whoever wants to take the stead of these
elder statesmen, has yet to emerge. At least with the GPP, the party is
inconceivable without Camara. Granted, PPP can tout the likes of OJ as
potential winning candidates. See below how i logically conclude that even OJ
is technically ineligible to contest the elections.

3. There is still a directive - that has been brought to our attentions by
Brothers Sanusi and Ebrima Ceesay - that in effect places similar
restrictions on Decree 89 politicians as Decree 89 did. Even in the case of
OJ - perhaps, the most talked about of all Decree 89 politicians -  he would
technically be ineligible by a constitutional stipulation which states that
to be eligible for election to the office of the presidency, candidates,
amongst others, must have spent the last five years as an ordinary resident
of the Gambia. OJ did spent some time in East Timor after his release from
illegal detention. Whether working abroad technically or legally can be
construed as ordinarily resident is something i will leave legal luminaries
to work out. In lieu of the aforesaid, it remains to be seen how OJ can be a
presidential contender in the October elections.

In the given logical enumeration, we made the case that circumstances would
eventually constrict any attempts by the said Decree 89 politicians to
INDEPENDENTLY or INDEPENDENT of the current cadre of Opposition contest the
October presidential elections. It, therefore, makes logical sense to expect
OJ and all other Decree 89 politicians to eventually seek both an informal
and formal pragmatic political compromise with other Opposition parties. This
is the hypothesis that has logical muscle to support it. Can we now hear how
logical your hypothesis is?

Hamjatta Kanteh