GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yunusa Bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 1996 17:20:47 +0000
Fatou & Harona,

This is indeed a good initiative from you/GRTS. I only hope it is the beginning
of more such programs from home and abroad. In the past GRTS has conducted
similar interviews on such topics as the computer millenium bug. This was
laudable and educative.

But we should go further to really get the public participate in more other
social issues. My only worry is how far you will get a free hand in allowing
views critical to GRTS/government considering the fact that somebody has to vet
whatever you come up with. This could really discredit the whole effort.  I only
hope GRTS is moving into a new era of a professional TV where all views are
accomodated. I will surely love to see this.

I also would want to believe that it will be in line with the President's recent
statement in the US that Africa's leadership must learn to listen to the
electorate and the opposition. He was certainly right when he asserted that
Africa's problems emanate from an impatient, unaccomodating and corrupt
leadership.

I studied in a country where the opinion of the public was not sought or was
taken for granted. I am referring to the former USSR. There was complete
monopoly of ideas and public media resources(TV, Radio and newspapers) by the
government. Everything was painted positively and looked like there was complete
unanimity on everything. Ordinary people though were frustrated. At the end we
all saw what happened. Disintegration. This is also what happened to Sir Dawda.
There are lessons we must draw from history to avoid repeating old tragedies.

I have read a lot of criticisms against Preident Jammeh before and during his US
visit. I believe the proposals he made at the UN were very constructive no
matter which side of the line you are, especially on the UN reform. I also
belief that he has learnt politically a lot while there. The fact that he pinned
Africa's problems on bad leadership and called on the governments not to see the
opposition as enemies convinced me on this. He was bold on this and i belief he
did not say it out of hypocrisy. The other thing that convinced me was the fact
that the GRTS correspondent that accompanied him on the visit reported the
demonstration that some Gambians organised against him. The mere fact it was
reported home is a step forward. I hope he would now be more accomodating at
home. This will really pay dividends for him and us politically and financially.

Those who have access to him i think should also let him know that not everybody
thinks or feels like him. They should be honest to him and the Gambian people
and give him honest advice. I think our problem is very similar to that of the
fallen former so-called communist states. We always lie to the boss to get
favours and remain in his good books. The boss's ideas are always applauded and
never questioned. When a new boss steps in, the former boss is discredited and
blamed for all the wrongs. We must move away from this and the only way we can
do it if for the leadership to have a listening ear and for all of us to accept
responsibilty of our actions.

Sorryif i bored you. I really did not intend to say so much.

Regards

Yunusa