GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:58:43 -0000
   Play it again, says Sam

   WINDHOEK, Dec 18 (AFP) - Namibian President Sam Nujoma made the national
army band replay the national anthem at a parade because it was too slow,
The
Namibian newspaper reported Monday.
   They were playing at a passing-out parade for national youth service
recruits last Friday at the Walvis Base military base, when Nujoma said they
were playing too slowly.
   "I don't know why everyone plays our anthem so slowly, even
internationally," the paper reported Nujoma as telling the bandmaster.
   "We are the land of the brave - don't play it so slow," he said as he
made
the band try again. Namibia's national anthem is known as 'The Land of the
Brave'.
   Still not satisfied with the second, faster version, Nujoma urged the
band
to practise more and called for more instruments for the band. "That was
better, but it can still improve," he said.
   str-ck/pbl/nb