GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:21:10 -0500
News

Bar condemns Sillah’s shooting
By DO

Dec 27, 2003, 13:20

Following the Friday morning shooting of veteran lawyer Ousman Sillah by
unknown assailants, the members of the Gambia Bar Association converged at
the Ndebaan Medical Centre Bakau Friday morning and issued a press release
reproduced below after an emergency meeting.

“It is with profound regret that we announce that a senior member of the
Gambia Bar Association, Alhaji Ousman ME Sillah, was ambushed and shot
several times by unidentified assailants outside his residence in South
Atlantic, Bakau in the early hours of Friday morning. As a result, he
sustained severe and life-threatening injuries.

After the shooting, he was rushed to the Ndebaan Medical Centre for
emergency medical treatment before being evacuated to Dakar, Senegal for
further emergency treatment.
We, the members of the Gambia Bar Association wholeheartedly condemn such a
cowardly, brutal and heinous crime. The assailants were in an unmarked
vehicle. We are therefore appealing to the general public and the
neighbourhood in particular, to assist in tracking down the assailants.

The family of Alhaji Ousman ME Sillah has formally reported the incident to
the police and we hope that the matter will be thoroughly investigated.”

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company