GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beran jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:04:16 -0400
Niamina MP Reacts To Defection Story

The Independent Member of Niamina West Constituency, Mr. Lamin Wallom
Jallow, has described the recent reported defection of 600 people from the
opposition to the ruling APRC in his constituency as baseless and unfounded.
In its news broadcastRadio last Sunday, GRTS radio announced the defection
of some 600 to 700 people from the opposition to the ruling APRC at a mass
political rally held in the village of Sambang in the Niamina West
Constituency. In his reaction, MP Jallow told the point yesterday morning
that the claim of 600 people defecting to the APRC is an exaggeration.

According to him, the rally met him in his constituency and it was only four
people, three from NRP and UDP and one from his own supporters who is no
other than one Demba Dalaba Bah, the recent Alkalo of the Dallaba. "I was
surprised when I heard of this. The number of people who they claimed have
defected is not up to the total number of electorates at Sambang." MP
further maintained that the people of Niamina are supporting him more now
than before. "Let me tell you I have 100% support of the people and come the
next election I will win overwhelmingly." MP Jallow finally disclosed that
he would contest under APRC ticket on the approval of his electorates.

The UDP Propaganda Secretary and Youth leader at the area, Mr. Lamin.
M.L.Jawla, alias (Phixco), has described such defection as ridiculous,
fictitious and baseless in order to fool the people of the area. The people
of Niamina, he said, have all rights not to support the present regime based
on the facts and reasons. The Niamina people, according to him, lack basic
facilities like good roads and telecommunications facilities, good drinking
water, to mention but a few. Mr. Jawla further went on to say that the
people of Niamina has learnt enough from tribal rivalry. The divide and rule
that was introduced by the Jammeh regime created a lot suspicion amongst the
people of the area which he, Jammeh, tries to capitalise on to make a
headway.

"I vowed we shall never tolerate such politicking any longer." Moreover,
according to Mr. Jawla, there is a tendency that if the trend in which they
are witnessing continues the UDP will go unopposed. Finally, Mr. Jawla
warned those so called intellectuals who are fabricating such unfounded
stories, that posterity will one day or the other judge their actions. The
people of Niamina, he said, have suffered a lot and therefore any selfish
individual who wants to make a political gain out of them will pay a heavy
price for it. "Let them continue on their cheap propaganda but I have no
doubt in my mind that come October elections, the UDP will triumph," he
concluded.