GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:17:47 -0500
Karamba,

The GSM System in The Gambia is GSM 900MHZ You would need to buy a GSM
900MHZ phone, or a GSM Dual Band or better yet a Tri-Band. There are three
major types of GSM Frequencies and they are

GSM 900MHZ
GSM 1800MHZ
GSM 1900MHZ

As you might already know, GSM stands for General System Mobile and means
the technology used in modern mobile phones in most parts of the world.

The US mostly uses GSM 1900MHZ and there are only few states in the US that
uses GSM 900MHZ. As matter of fact there are very few countries in the world
that uses GSM 1900HMZ apart from the US. It is used mostly in Latin America
and the Caribean Country because most of their networks are owned by US
based companies.

A good phone to buy especially if one is a travellers is tri-band, because
this would allow you to use it in any part of the world. One good expamble
would be MOTOROLA Ti250.

PEACE

Tombong