GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 00:36:19 -0500
Hi folks,

I'm in a hurry to go to bed, so I'm going to keep this one short.  It's been a
while, and I certainly did not mean to keep silent for so long.  However, I've
been bogged-down with all kinds of things, and just couldn't keep up ...

I'd like to say that I've been rather disturbed by the tone of recent postings
on the list.  It's been really interesting to follow how reactions to President
Jammeh's visit to the UN degenerated into name-calling and shouting matches.
After all is said and done, I think we missed out on a great opportunity to
debate on the role of The Gambia in the international arena. We are at about
the end of our term on the UN's Security Council and I think it would have been
wonderful to stop for a moment and take stock.  But we didn't, and we have no
one to blame but ourselves.

From what I recall, the present wave of squabbles started with a dinner
organized for President Jammeh.  I wish that the disagreement stopped when
everyone had said what their opinion on the matter was, and let it go at that.
The fact remains that those who invited President Jammeh have, as everyone
(including Jammeh himself) should, a freedom of association.  It might sound so
simple that it's silly, but I believe everyone should be free to invite anyone
for dinner, or fund-raising or whatever.  However, this right has nothing to do
with other issues, such as whether the person you are inviting is deserving of
the dinner.  And that is where the other perspective on the debate comes in.

Certainly, those who don't like or support President Jammeh also have a right
to say so.  Furthermore, they have a right to express indignation and even
anger at his being invited for dinner or whatever.  But having expressed that
right to be angry and upset, they should let people who have invited President
Jammeh to dinner have their dinner in peace.  It was really unfortunate that
the whole issue was turned over and over again, and to the point where what
started as a debate about the worthiness of Jammeh as a dinner guest turned
into an argument, which soon boiled over into a quarrel.  Hence the trouble we
all are in.

I would like to appeal to all parties concerned to please stop the shouting,
and leave this one behind.  There are so many issues to discuss that I wonder
what got into our heads to make us all stoop so low.  Also, I would like to
remind everyone that while it might be easy to fire off a couple of insults and
accusations here and there, we should remember that it's a small world, and you
never know who you will run into tomorrow.  For that reason, I think we should
all aim to be able to look the other person in the eye when next we meet. I'll
bet you'll be really surprised, even ashamed, at how really nice the other
person you've been quarrelling with is, when you meet in person!

Speaking of quarrels, I would like to express my sincere apologies to all of
you who have been receiving insults from Matarr Njie in Malaysia.  As some of
you might know he was taken off the list, and since then has decided to seek
his revenge by launching insults at anyone who criticizes President Jammeh's
government.  I have been getting copies of e-mail he's sent to people, as well
as my own!  I should also mention that I have been trying to put Matarr's
insults to a stop, but as you can imagine, these things take time.  In the mean
time, I would appreciate it if you refrain from forwarding any insults you get
from Matarr to the list.  We will also make postings on the list publicly
accessible at http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html  The point
here is that there's nothing being hidden from anyone, and the dialogue,
debate, and yes, the bickering is all going to be in public.

May I also mention that the Gambia-L management is not accepting requests for
subscriptions and such via the list.  I've mentioned it on the list a number of
times, and will repeat that instructions on how to subscribe/unsubsribe to/from
the list is at the bottom of every posting you get from the list.  Furthermore,
the instructions point to the location of the Gambia-L archives, and for this
reason, I see no reason why people should clog this list with "please subscribe
..." requests.  Indeed, I'm thinking that we should probably experiment with
SUSPENDING people who write to the list asking that we subscribe someone.

I would like to end this one on a positive note.  For this reason, I would like
to remind us all that despite all the recent bickering we've had on the list,
we have also proved that this list can be an incredibly inspiring forum.  I did
not send anything in when Saiks had his posting about Gambian names but I was
absolutely delighted by the healthy, eye-opening, and yes happy atmosphere that
issue brought to the list.  Please remember, especially in these difficult
times on the list, that we are a bunch of really smart people that can really
do wonders together.  Let's keep it that way.  End of my two, make that five,
bututs worth ...

Have a great weekend, and best wishes in your endeavors.

Katim