GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:42:22 EDT
Hi Ndey and Ten:

So many thanks for your response. I only had a puzzle that I can't solve, but
you might have misunderstood me or I failed to put my point across clearly. I
have not mentioned anything about supporting Jammeh, nor compare him to MLK
or Gandhi. These noble heroes were only mentioned in reference to the word
sacrifice. I did also make references to all the political leaders of the
nation.  My puzzle is why do we have to sit here and continuously criticize,
if we have the know how and the capabilities to rescue our beloved nation?
Nobody is going to build our home for us if we can do it ourselves. Ndey, I
did not say what Jammeh and colleagues did was good or bad, but that was the
way they chose to attained change. You, I and others may have a better
solution to bring changes. And I did mention that some may not like the way
Jammeh attained power. So what is the challenge on that?

 Ten, you did not have to remind me that people can contribute to the nation
without going there, because I am one of those. You and I left our poor
families at home the same year for a better life and continued supporting
them, likewise others. Without these traveling most of us will not be where
we are today, even Gambia will not have some of the thing the citizens are
enjoying. I have nothing against traveling nor to stay. But I was only
emphasizing that it would be rather effective and appropriate to go home if
you continue voicing out your critics yet nothing changes. Most of these
so-called intellectuals were against Jawara and did nothing to make changes.
Now it Jammeh and they are continuing the same thing. If one of us became
president today  the same people will criticize again. Please my friends
action speaks louder than words.

Please Ten, don't judged me because I have a relative in the government, you
know me better. My friends, if we want change we have to do it ourselves.
Jammeh and others back home are not better patriots than us, but what is
stopping us from going back? Do we find pleasure in criticisms? This is what
is puzzling me, my friends. Please don't forget that I also live in the West
and came here for the same purpose like many. But I think critics without
action or solution is cowardice and hypocrisy. Please if you cannot help or
contribute, shut up!!!, do not waste your time and energy to criticize for
nothing. Ten, I know the purpose of the Bantaba that is why we are expressing
our ideas and thoughts. I must personally thank the Bantaba for making it
possible for you to respond to me after many years. Is it that you were only
awaiting me pitfalls? Take great care of yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salam, Your Home Boy
Sulayman