GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:20:08 +0100
Brother Sallah,

After reading this mail of yours, I had to pause for a while and think.
I think I can feel the dilemma you are in. I must say that I personally
did not know that you were offered a ministerial post for a second time,
and I thought I am to some extent informed. likewise I had to discover
during your trial that PDOIS had challenged the P.P.P. Government before
an international court on election irregularities and won, without
making much noise about it or using it for political propaganda. These
are examples of your way of dealing with the urgent task; do what needs
to be done in the interest of the country without drumming on your chest
or trumpeting your greatness.

Honest human beings who know you will never doubt your integrity,
sincerity, straightforwardness and the great sacrifices you have made
your way of life. Sometimes, I feel that this world is not a place for
people who are honest and just. The dilemma you seem to be faced with
now is whether to continue doing the work of the people without blowing
your trumpet loud or to clear the way once and for all, thereby
inevitably trampling on certain people.

Halifa, whatever you decide, be rest assured that there are many
Gambians and non-Gambians who treasure your role in our history. Today,
tomorrow and the day after, there will be Gambians who will do
everything necessary to straighten the records. No one can throw sand
into our eyes any longer. No one can turn us against you. My personal
opinion at this very moment is to clear the way ONCE AND FOREVER in a
document which will be kept for anyone who comes up later with baseless
accusations to access, and ONLY after reading such a document come back
to challenge your stand before and after the coup. That way, you can
focus on the more important work of the people.

Let me conclude by saying that I know you will not be comfortable with
this kind of writing; I know you do not like to be praised, but allow me
once to state before this Forum that I count myself among those Gambians
you have always inspired to this very day. I had to get this out of my
chest. To be honest, I was preparing a more detailed piece to deal with
the rudeness, lack of respect and absolute lack of objectivity with
which some members on this Forum continue to try to castigate you. How
many of them are raising a finger to contribute to the enlightenment of
our ordinary people? How many of them are ready to drink brown water
from wells in the countryside to be in touch with our people? How many
of them are ready to put their lives on the hook to defend our
sovereignty and human rights, as you did in Jawara's time and after the
coup, when the iron was really hot?

Somehow, some people seem to think that by writing on Gambia-L the
Gambia can be changed overnight. Those who bother to look beyond their
noses will certainly know that the future of our country is primarily
determined by what is happening on the ground. And anyone who is honest
to accept simple truth knows that you could have easily found green
pasture in the big cities of industrialized nations like most of us. For
who in this Forum doubts your intellectual capacity? Maybe you would
have been treated differently if you had pursued academic interests
alone and become Professor, Dr. Halifa Sallah, riding black, shining
Mercedes Benzes, wearing silk neckties and talking through the nose with
arrogance, producing tons of academic "junk" which bears little
relevance to our deplorable situation.

May you be strengthened to continue doing the work of the people with
perfection and vigilance. Let me make it clear that everything written
here is my personal opinion. I satute you!

Alpha Robinson